xisto Community
takerraj

Linux Cd/dvd Multi Boot?

Is it possible to create a mulit-boot cd/dvd for installing Linux operating system. For example, I want to create a dvd with 6 Linux distribution in it. What I actually want is, when I boot that dvd, it has show me those 6 linux distros and it should ask me to choose one distro and then it will install it as we normally install linux. Is this possible? Is there any software (on Linux or Windows) to do this?

It is possible, but I don't think it's that easy if you nothing about it. I have a Sun DVD wich has several Solaris versions/distributions on it so it's certainly possibe.You'll have to look up some e-book about creating a linux installation cd yourself and then figure out how to do it with existing installers, tough I seriously don't think it's worth the hassle because within a few month you'll have to create the DVD again because the last one is outdated.

Well, in the future when people will use blue ray roms much more I guess a blue ray disk could store a lot of Linux distros ;)Distros like OpenSUSE already use a full DVD disk, even though you don't need all the data in it, but it's possible to have a DVD with two distributions, just I don't know how to dual boot them.Personally, when blank DVDs are so cheap, I don't care, but it just takes to much space, thats why I usually don't know what to do with them, they just collect dust ;)

Moreover, nowadays each Linux distro is on several CD's or on a DVD, you will probably have no room to put several distros on a single DVD.

There are still some distro's that fit on a single CD ;)
You could put two live DVD's on a dual layer DVD, but those are too expensive imho

@quatrux: I only burn distro's on rewriteable dvd's and keep the ISO's on my HDD. It's not worth wasting a DVD for a distro as they become outdated rather quickly and using older distro's doesn't offer any advantages (compared to eg. XP)
Edited by wutske (see edit history)

i'd say your best bet is to get a flash drive and then throw your different distros on new partitions so that you can just open whichever one you need at the time.

He does not want to boot a given distro off a flasdrive.He wants to install the distro on a hard drive, booting off a DVD. And next time, install another distro on another hard drive, booting off the same DVD.