xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mahesh2k

Html 5, What's New ?

I'm hearing and reading a lot about HTML 5. Still didn't get my hands on Demo for the HTML 5. Anyone have any clue of what are the changes in HTML 5 ? I would like to know more how it is going to change in future. What are the possibilities and major changes of HTML 5. Any demo seen so far ?

I can say that HTML with this kind of speeds will be here maybe in 2022? ;)

We usually now use divs with a class name or an id and use it with a css or use some other hacks which isn't as perfect as it could be, so html5 is here to standardize everything in a better way, but it's also taking a lot of time for some questions to be answered and methods to be used..

Remember xhtml 1.x is not the same as html4 and was meant for different reasons, to use with xml language, even though a lot of whom use xhtml just that it's more strict and more new.

HTML5 adds new tags and etc.

Here are some good examples:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
http://boblet.tumblr.com/post/141239118/html5-structure4

It's more readable, it saves bandwidth, it's more logical for current web technologies rather than html4 which is a recommendation since 1997, even though you'll be able to do the same stuff, but a bit differently?

It's a fact that it will be easier to use CSS on HTML5 than on HTML4..

I read about how much easier it will be to control your music and video, flash and javascript in a browser with HTML5.

But still it's strange for me that they almost didn't do anything about the input tags and textarea just added some more attributes which of course are great, like required and etc. But still it's a pain to use them, they could have made <checkbox /> <radio /> or something like that and not only <input ..> for everything.. so why do we have input and textarea, select separate then? It would be much easier to control input forms with javascript and css if they would be separate tags !!! It's always a pain and just seems extra usage of resources doing all that cycles, even though things like JQuery minimized the pain ;)

Here is a list of elements and tags, attributes: https://simon.html5.org/html-elements

Edited by Quatrux (see edit history)

Well new tags will be headache in some cases. But i was expecting some standard that can cut the monopoly of plugin like flash or silverlight. Let's hope HTML5+SVG can bring some magic in browser back.

Well at least we don't have to depend on Flash videos anymore with the <video> tag hopefully. I am going for the Ogg formats because they are open or non-patented or something, I hope it gets through to Google and Apple instead of just Mozilla and Opera to support Ogg instead of H.264 instead of both.And as for SVG, there is canvas which is supported in all major browsers. A JavaScript thing is needed for IE I think, I'm not too sure as it is not too important to me at the moment.

shibu, Check wikipedia and W3C you'll see some previews. Maybe we have to wait till Mozilla 4 for that. I don't think we'll see it coming withing next 6 months though.

Maybe we have to wait till Mozilla 4 for that.

Wow! Mozilla 4 ! I'm still satisfied with my FireFox 2, why should I switch to Mozilla 4 ? Will eat more cpu, will need a bigger computer?

Wow! Mozilla 4 ! I'm still satisfied with my FireFox 2, why should I switch to Mozilla 4 ? Will eat more cpu, will need a bigger computer?

Well I would recommend you switch to Firefox 3.5 immediately as Firefox 2 is not supported anymore. But yeah, Mozilla Firefox 3.6 and Mozilla Firefox 4 is planned for release, this year and the beginning of next year I think.

Don't switch then, nobody said you should. Enjoy the unsecured version also stay deprived of HTML 5. We all know it eats cpu but when it comes to features we just ignore the rest. Many of us never find firefox replacement as we are satisfied with the features and add-ons.

About release of FF4, i'm not sure when it will release but i expect some good performance with that version.