xisto Community
grim reaper1666

Ip Address Version Runs Out In 2011 the we go to version 6

ip v4 is predicted to run out of available ip addresses in 2011 so they will be switching to ip v6 (it may seem wierd to go from 4 to 6 but the reason is because they ips will have 6 parts to them instead of 4) it is a strange thing to think of but i suppose current websites which already have an ip address will be on the same one and new websites after 2011 will be placed on ip v6. But this is what you expect ip addresses have a standard of being for example 123.123.1.1 so eventually all of those would run out so then you would most likely get 123.123.123.123.1.1 to fit in new spaces as we need more and more ip addresses.

an ipv6 address is nothing like an ipv4 address. Ipv6 addresses aren't numeric anymore, but hexadecimal and the largest value is ffff.This is a good example of an ipv6 address:2001:0:5ef5:73bc:478:11bf:c114:6730

Hmm, Hexadecimal numbers will be hard to remember or even hard to read though. I didn't see any good reason to like it.

Same here, no way that I'm going to remember the IP adresses from my other computers ;) . I'll probably won't change to IPv6 in the next 5 to 10 years if I don't have to. I hope that by then I get the logic behind the numbers (like numbers that usually don't change like the 2001 or fe80).

that would be confusing but i think that only new websites and computers would need to change over to that really. otherwise this new one would be jam packed full straight away. its like the population of the internet starts out at say 10 then when it goes to 100 the people watching the population get brown trousers. then it gets to over 1 million the population watchers have never retired and have a heart attack and some new guys come in and don't look at the population until a message pops up saying the internet is now full please redirect people to the landfill.

I also think that they won't be remembered as easy as they are remembered now, but usually you don't need to remember them, as it has a domain and ipv4 is really enough on local stuff like in an university to use by controlling a large network of computers, I guess it's good for servers, which usually you don't need to remember so much, unless you work with servers or in some large department. ;)

If they come up with some masking for hexadecimal numbers with some digits. Then i guess it will be possible for us to remember else i think it's hard to see the chance of remembering IP address. I tried to remember that sample number but it's hard. Old IP addreses are much easier to remember in my opinion.

i wonder if version 6 would run faster and be easier for a computer to load since alot of stuff on computers nowa days uses hex.

IPV6 is already available on vista computers. So, you can, just for fun, try to configure an IPV6 fix address and see if you can feel the difference in load time.

exactly its the servers that will see the change and dont forget they would still be ip v4 users out there with new users being version 6. that is how it would most likely work unless there is 100 times as much space for ip addresses on ip v6. i wonder if version 6 would run faster and be easier for a computer to load since alot of stuff on computers nowa days uses hex.

i never knew that i am currently using a windows 7 pc, though it is custom built myself which made it alot cheaper than buying a fully built one with lesser components. i believe my current computer so far has come to a total of £500 over a 4 year period this is because i am constantly upgrading it so i would most likely still have this computer in 20 years time jut that it would have been upgraded beyond recognition it would be funny to see actually.

i never knew that i am currently using a windows 7 pc,

Sorry, maybe I did not clearly explain myself.If you have a modern computer, or if you have a PC running vista (and this is probably true for Windows 7) you can assing IP V6 addresses for your NIC.
This is not available on Windows XP.

I guess ipv6 is supported on win xp as well. Not sure i guess sp2/sp3 has support for it. Anyone can confirm this ? I heard ir from someone but was not sure about it. So have to confirm it.