xisto Community
yordan

Vista Bluescreen On Nvlddmkm.sys during cold startup.

I am experiencing a bluescreen stated on nvlddmkm.sys on my vista system when cold start powering up.I did not have this problem when I bought my brand new system, but after some windows updates I started to happen sometimes.I first had a Microsoft solution pop-up, asking to install a fix. that fix worked some time, and then the problem appeared again.It's a cold start problem, a bluescreen and then a non-standard screen with random pixels all around the display.After a couple of reboots the problem is solved, but appears next moring at powering up.I had another microsoft pop-up saying "you have a problem, visit Microsoft Update for solving it".At Microsoft update there was a Nvidia update, I installed it, did not solve the problem.Next week another pop-up saying "you have a problem, visit this link", a link to invida site, which scanned my system and told me that I had an old driver, and asked me to install the new driver.I installed the new driver, and guess what, no change. :D

Yordan, That is one reason why I hate windows. :P

You're perfectly right. Unfortunately, I bought my PC ready-for-use, with Windows pre-loaded, and I will loose the warranty if I touch something.Bu the way, my Samsung SyncMaster220 is certified with Crosoft Windows, I'm not sure it's certified with Damn-Samml-Linux or Mandriva. :D
Neither is probably my DSL router, my scanner nor my C900 printer. :P
And what about my GPS favourites synchronizing by means of a Windows binary program through the USB interface?

Guys, seriously, instead of bashing on windows you could propose a solution for his problem...Like this: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Thanks for the link. I tried it. The "fixed" nvlddmkm.sys worked, but my graphic adapter was not seen as a nvidia one, it was seen as "backup vesa".
So, I tried re-installing the standard Nvidia install which overwrote the patched .sys file.
And, of course, the cold start crash problem is still there.

Btw, this isn't a microsoft related error, but an nVidia related error, you happen on linux too (and believe, nvidia drivers for linux are way more crappy)

So I feel less guilty, switchng to Linux would not be the obiously perfect solution.

My problem is still not solved.Fortunately, the problem is less severe under linux : the display is rather strange, but the system does not crash.whereas Windows during cold start tries to initialize the display, and crashes, and reboots and then freezes. I have to powerdown, and then at power up windows does not love that.When I have a look at the litterature, a lot of people have this problem. It's not clear if it's a Nvidia GeForce 9500 GS problem. some people on the net solved their problem by means of removing the graphic card, and replace it by an ATI one. Some other people changed their memory in DIMM slot1, and then had no more problem.Maybe the problem is a bad combination with the graphic adapter needing a specific memory addres and finding it faulty.And I cannot make a real diagnosis, because I don't currently have another set of memory chips or another graphic board.

Maybe the problem is a bad combination with the graphic adapter needing a specific memory addres and finding it faulty.And I cannot make a real diagnosis, because I don't currently have another set of memory chips or another graphic board.

I think so.

How about considering a fresh format of a Windows System?

How about considering a fresh format of a Windows System?

The other guys on the web saw that formatting the Windows System gave no result. And if it's really a Nvidia chip problem, formatting the hard disk will give no effect.It's a cold-start problem, meaning that after a couple of minutes warming there is no problem, so Windows has also no problem booting.