xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
H.O.D

How Good Is Ubuntu 9.10?

A lot of people will readily say that Ubuntu is the best Linux ditro for beginners, and I agree with that statement. I used Linux for the first time in the form of Ubuntu 8.04 and was thrilled with the experience. Later I tried using Fedora and openSUSE but they weren't the same. So I stuck on with Ubuntu and haven't been disappointed till today. I heard that the latest version 9.10 came out recently? I am now using 8.10 and didn't upgrade to 9.04 yet. So I was thinking whether to upgrade to 9.04 as it is more stable, or should I go for the latest version? I hope there are not any bugs present in the new version as it often happens with new releases. So could someone please give me a small review of karmic koala? It would be very much appreciated. Thanks! :D

A lot of people will readily say that Ubuntu is the best Linux ditro for beginners, and I agree with that statement. I used Linux for the first time in the form of Ubuntu 8.04 and was thrilled with the experience. Later I tried using Fedora and openSUSE but they weren't the same. So I stuck on with Ubuntu and haven't been disappointed till today.

I heard that the latest version 9.10 came out recently? I am now using 8.10 and didn't upgrade to 9.04 yet. So I was thinking whether to upgrade to 9.04 as it is more stable, or should I go for the latest version? I hope there are not any bugs present in the new version as it often happens with new releases. So could someone please give me a small review of karmic koala? It would be very much appreciated. Thanks! :D

Here we go.

Ubuntu 9.10, Karmic Koala, is pretty much the same as Ubuntu 9.04. But with a fresh look. The whole look is revamped and it looks great. Ubuntu 9.10, is something like window-ized Linux. The user interface and external device support works great. Till now I didn't find any major bug with Ubuntu 9.10, but there is a small problem when connecting to ADSL. The normal "edit connections, add username and password" thing is not working. But thanks to pppoeconf, I am able to connect to internet that way. Also, Xine-backend is no more supported by Totem and Rhythmbox. You are forced to use Gstreamer plugins only, if you want Totem to play DVD's and MP3's. Another thing to mention here is, there is a new package added to Ubuntu 9.10, that is Ubuntu Software Center. It works the same way as Synaptic manager, but Ubuntu Software center is well organized. All the softwares are put under each category. You can install Gstreamer plugins (restricted formats) in no time using Ubuntu software center. On a whole, Ubuntu 9.10 is rocking!