xisto Community
HannahI

Ubuntu Setup How easy is it? EASY

Ubuntu Setup Poll  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2.5 minutes ? Your configuration ? And which version you tried ? I found version 8.10 taking more than 15 minutes using inside virtual machine. Not sure about real hardware time. Maybe less or the same time system will take. Who knows ?

Username and password changes after installation can be done in seconds. What i mean is how much time you took for installation. If you're saying 5 minutes then it's unusual for me, i have never seen having such a high speed for ubuntu installation. So i asked you if what was the version and also interested in pc configuration to see at what configuration such high speed installation is possible.

Not exactly, i want you to tell me which version gave you fast install like that. You can find out about your version of ubuntu by simply using "cat /etc/issue" this command in terminal. This will give you version of ubuntu installed on your system.

In my opinion, in order to really measure the setup time, you must start with a freshly bought disk, or a disk you just formatted using "format c:" from a msdos diskette.then you put your install CD inside the reader, you power on your system, and you start measuring the time.You boot Linux, you choose everything you want to install (in old Redhat versions there was a menu quite at the end saying 'install everithing', now you must click each subserver you want to install).Then you need to test the Ethernet board, test that a DHCP server is available, accept the standard DHCP install, clic continue.Then you see "please wait, formating the disk" (nowadays you format 300 to 500 gig's).Then you see "verifying rpm's concistency", please wait.Then you see "copying files".Then a first reboot.Then a prompt "pleas insert update CD 1".then "Please wait".Then "installing please wait".Then, if you are in front of the computer, "do you want to add more users?"Then logoutthen rebootNow stop the watch.Did you really perform this in less than three minutes ?Usually, I need between half an hour and a couple of hours, depending from the speed of my disks.

I know that you installed it hannah. But i was asking how much time it takes from booting from CD to complete install. Was that 5 minutes for you ? If so, i would like to know the version you installed with such short times. That is all i'm asking.

I think Hannah is talking about booting into Ubuntu, not time taken to install Ubuntu. By the way, for me it took more than 10 minutes for sure. This installation time will be pretty much the same for everyone. Am I correct?

Takerraj, Your right and wrong. But I mean setting up the system (main username, main password, master password).

Now I get it. This task is the job I usually schedule for less than one minute. We consider it as neglectible compared to the time for fully setting up a server (unpack the box, find an AC outlet and a free Ethernet slot on the switch, boot on the Linux CD, choose the rpms to be installed and the services to be started, configure the network and the gateways). :D

This is quite interesting. Is this about Network install Yordan? that is, not installing from CD, but from internet mirrors.

Does not matter. We are talking about the very last part of the installation.As HannahI says,

I mean setting up the system (main username, main password, master password).

answering the question about root password is very fast, no matter if installing from a CD or from a ftp server or deploying from a CloneZilla server.