xisto Community
HannahI

Tips: Unix Commands

Let's share UNIX commands.

To start off, here are some.

function - create a function - Syntax: function myfunction() {

echo - print - syntax: echo hello

-Hannah

You're talking about writing a BASH script, right ? Because "UNIX commands" is a very vague description which I interpret as commands to start an application (eg "ping 127.0.0.1").

function - create a function - Syntax: function myfunction() {

and also, please, when you give such an info, give it completely.I'm pretty sure the heading "{" needs a trailing "}" in order the function description to be complete.

and also, please, when you give such an info, give it completely.I'm pretty sure the heading "{" needs a trailing "}" in order the function description to be complete.

Now that we're talking about mistakes. Usualy a string is places between " " , unless hello is a previously defined variable.
So it should probably be
echo "hello"
or
string hello = "Hello there";echo hello;

But it all depends on which language/environment you're using :D

In Unix I have observed the following two statements give the same results:

CONSOLE
echo $SHELL
CONSOLE
echo "$SHELL"
Both the methods will process the variable and prints which shell is running.To take the input as text, whether or not there are variables included, it would be included in single quotes
CONSOLE
echo '$SHELL'
The output would be $SHELLHere are some more commands which are commonly used:tput clear# Clears screenls -l > list#Saves the list of files and directories in the current directory with attributes (-l) in "list" file.cat filename# Display file contentswc list# Counts number of lines. x lines, x words, x charactersAnything starting with hypen (-) is an option. It needs to be separate, that is no characters after or before it.

tput clear# Clears screen

Talking about tput, another interesting one is

tput sgr0

This resets your terminal to standard values, removing "rev", "blink" and other disagreeable features you got if you "cat" a binary file to your display.