xisto Community
HannahI

A Vmware Story

Hello,I have a strange story about VMWare for mac; yes, I know you probally think that this post goes somewhere else.Well, let get on with the story! :DI installed Windows 7 RC in VMWare for mac. I liked it very well. But there is only one problem about that. It is that about every 3 uses of the virtual machine in crashes. But since it is not a really a windows computer, the virtual machine brakes! :PI used it about 9 times, so the title looked like "Windows 7 3. Strange.Enjoy,-Hannah

So, seems that Windows 7 RC is buggy.Or vmware for Mac seems buggy.Or you had a license registration problem.Did you try a more stable Windows, let's say Windows XP or Windows 2003 on your vmware for Mac system ?

RC Versions are buggy. And in case of windows final release is also buggy that is patched by their update site later with lots of service packs. But here VMware fusion that you're using is new software that VMware launched for mac platform. I expect bugs in this stage as software for this platform is not matured yet. Besides for windows platform vmware is above version 6 so i can say it is mature. Besides both VMWare and Paralles who are creating virtual machine software for macintosh mentioned that support for Windows 7 RC is under beta. They're yet to support it completely. (For more information you can check paralles's homepage where experimental support for win7 is mentioned, same is the case with VMware). You can expect next update of these two software support WIN7 -ultimate and other versions without any glitches. By the way, if you've heard of Apple bootcamp. You can use that to install windows 7 as dualboot. RC release is not good to use for bootcamp though,IMO.

Not strange. Windows 7 was released this month so it will take time for developers to come up with support for their current version to support VMware. Still there was experimental support for RC versions. But it didn't worked right ? So, that explains their point of experimental support.

I used vmware for a while on my vista laptop, 1gb of ram and dual core, it ran fine when I was running Ubuntu, slitaz and even a copy of the old windows95 for nostalgia purposes. However it did chew up my system a fair old bit so I uninstalled. Recently I re-installed the same package and it was highly unstable. There were problems with reading the virtual drives on the hard disk. It kept happening even if I changed the drives to IDE or pre-allocated the space. It was strange that it ran so perfectly the first time around and then second time it was made practically unusable. Anybody else had this problem with vista? The graphics started going funny as well, I thought it might have been because I was also running daemon tools lite, so I uninstalled vmware, uninstalled daemon tools, after the that i reinstalled vmware (the reboots by this point were really annoying me) and the same thing kept happening. Any thoughts on that?

It might be the vmware is not up-to-date, or it is lack of service pack.
Which version you are currently in use ?

You need version 3 to support newly operating system such as Windows 7 (your case).
(This is a version based-on VMWare fusion 3 workstation, other version might not applied)

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion.html

Edited by magiccode9 (see edit history)

Had a pretty similar experience to you on one of my other computers. It kept crashing every couple of hours or so, it got pretty annoying so I just took my laptop to Geek Squad up at my local Best Buy and they basically rebooted the computer and removed all the crap that was on it and reinstalled the Windows Vista that was originally installed. Now it works just fine :)