xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Nameless_

Help On Drupal Designing Needed... Posted on Trap17 with no expert replies, so Im coming here instea

Hi people, this is one of my rare visits onto Xisto. I will try and keep this a short as possible, because I tend to ramble things over and over again and it is getting onto some people's nerves over at our fellow neighbor forum, Xisto. I am a member of the Xisto forum, and I have posted a help thread there, but unfortunately no one in Xisto seems to be using Drupal, and most of them prefers Joomla! So I have come over to ask the more technical forum with more expert webmasters for help.

I am currently working on a blog project, and I have decided to work on my local webserver that I have set up on my computer. I have come a long way from being an absolute noob, but I'm still a beginner, so I would really appreciate it if you kept the replies simple and in plain English. :D:P :P

This is the latest screenshot. As you can see, I have also added some arrows and things where I want to change some settings...

Posted Image

One of my main questions (as shown in the screenshot with red arrows pointing towards it) is the categories. For some reason I can't seem to add tags or make categories for my posts. I need to be able to add tags and categories and child categories (they, tags and categories, are two completely different things), so the categories will go into the yellow menu bar, the child categories under in the black sub menu bar, and the tags just right under my posts.

Once I can get the categories done then I can work on the other design problems that I am currently facing at the moment (also shown in the screenshot). But anyway, any reply would be great. It just seems to me that Xisto is more active than Xisto, so I'm just asking for any reply that can help me. Even if it's just encouragement.

Thanks.

To add tags and categories to your posts you need to create a vocabulary first. Go into the admin section > Content management > Taxonomy. Click the "Add vocabulary" button. If you want to create a 'free-tagging' vocabulary (ie. you type the tags in for each post when you write it) then call the vocabulary something like "Tags", and give it a description and help text if you want (they don't affect anything, just explain what it does). Then choose which content types you want to be able to put tags on. In the final panel, click the "Tags" option, and the "Required" option if you want to force each post to have tags. Click save, then try to create a new post, and you should see a box somewhere to type tags in :DIf you want to create categories as well, where people select from a list of option rather than typing whatever they like then follow the above instructions but don't tick the "Tags" option at the end. You can tick "Multiple select" if you want to allow people to assign a post to multiple categories, or leave it blank if they can only select one. Same goes for "Required". Click save. Then you will need to add terms to your vocabulary (the categories people can select). On the row for your categories, click the "Add terms" link. Create your first category. In the "Settings" panel at the bottom you can choose if a new category has a parent, so you can build up hierarchies of categories (such as Dog, Cat, Fish, Rabbit all having the parent Animals).

To add tags and categories to your posts you need to create a vocabulary first. Go into the admin section > Content management > Taxonomy. Click the "Add vocabulary" button. If you want to create a 'free-tagging' vocabulary (ie. you type the tags in for each post when you write it) then call the vocabulary something like "Tags", and give it a description and help text if you want (they don't affect anything, just explain what it does). Then choose which content types you want to be able to put tags on. In the final panel, click the "Tags" option, and the "Required" option if you want to force each post to have tags. Click save, then try to create a new post, and you should see a box somewhere to type tags in.
If you want to create categories as well, where people select from a list of option rather than typing whatever they like then follow the above instructions but don't tick the "Tags" option at the end. You can tick "Multiple select" if you want to allow people to assign a post to multiple categories, or leave it blank if they can only select one. Same goes for "Required". Click save. Then you will need to add terms to your vocabulary (the categories people can select). On the row for your categories, click the "Add terms" link. Create your first category. In the "Settings" panel at the bottom you can choose if a new category has a parent, so you can build up hierarchies of categories (such as Dog, Cat, Fish, Rabbit all having the parent Animals).

Ah, great!!! Yess!!!The expert has replied!!! :P:D :D

I'll never get rid of you, will I? I thought you'd be gone for quite a while, and I couldn't find another Drupal expert on Xisto so I thought I might ask the more technical people of the Xisto Corporation here on Xisto. And after going away for a whole day I came back to find out that you have answered!!! (Not to mention that you are the only one too!!! )

You are now officially my new Drupal idol!!! - not that I have had one in the first place. Many Thanks for the reply... :D I still have to see if things work, as I haven't tried what you've suggested and if they don't I might double post a reply here or create a new thread. (Probably the latter, as I'll break to rules by double posting). I am answering to your reply right after I have read it so I haven't had time to try.

Yeah, I thought it has something to do with the Taxonomy module thing, but I didn't exactly know how it works and how to use it, so I've been downloading a lot of the other random modules like tagedelic and all that stuff - anything related to tags and categories, and I didn't even know that the answer was right in front of my from the very start!!! Thanks for the reply, I'll be posting my Drupal help plea threads on both Xisto and Xisto from now on to see if I can catch you. :P