xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
starfinances

Google Chrome Os

I don't think Microsoft will reduce the price of their operating systems due to Google's OS. Microsoft have practically admitted that they charge as much as they can possibly get away with in each country, and Chrome OS is unlikely to have enough of an effect to make people really stop and think about it. Windows will still be installed on the vast majority of computers sold by retailers, even if Microsoft has to employ stronger tactics to make OEMs buy licences and install them.However, if Google spent the cash to really work on the Chrome OS, to promote it, market it, make it polished and to get it installed by default on new PCs then Microsoft would have reason to be worried. Most people use Windows not through choice, but because it was there when they bought the PC. If Google can persuade manufacturers to install Chrome instead of Windows then Microsoft will have to seriously think about their options. The question is whether Google has any financial incentive to get Chrome installed by default on new PCs - how much cash will it generate for them?

Google chrome OS project was started to get into the idea of cloud computing. I don’t think they intended to create OS which is more useful for offline use. I mean what Google did here is tied their services with OS. How? Here is the one way to look at it. They’ll create OS which has all the features of cloud computing. They’ll ask developers and software companies to build services and software for this platform. They’ll earn from it. Plus they’ve their own online services which they’ll tie with chrome os. Even better they’ll create apps which are only used or meant to be used in chrome. This way their business model will be stick with their cloud computing platform and online services.Is it comparable with Microsoft? No, i don’t think so. Microsoft still makes operating system which is usable for both online and offline use. They do plan to have cloud computing services with their new or future released operating system. So comparing Google chrome OS and Microsoft windows is not at equal basis. Both have different user groups targeted. Microsoft wants to target general users which turn out to be all-purpose OS. They can’t even increase price or reduce price because of competition with other operating systems. If they did any move in this price area, they’ll lose customers. Which are already reducing or switching to Mac & Linux cause of instability of windows OS.Google will surely promote new OS without much effort. Many bloggers and os enthusiastic people will try chrome OS at least for few months. So release period of os will fetch them lot of business. Also applications which are only intended for chrome os will speak for the promotion of OS. More the features, better for the promotion. Chrome needs to come up with something which Microsoft and Linux variants are not launching into the market.

@demlasjr, that chrome os is called as google os by some people. So it's just misunderstanding. It's not another OS from them. Google OS or chrome os, it's just how people call it. It's not new from them. As per your link it's the chrome os that they are working on. If i'm not wrong then it is based on debian. I mean they did talked with ubuntu community about this. There were some talks with mark shuttleworth about this last year. So yes, Chrome OS is likely to be based on debian. Maybe debian will have more members in their community to seed changes and to work on their base.

I know is Debian, but is better the classical one :D Chrome OS and Ubuntu are a unstable version of Debian, upgraded for each 3rd part organization. I was wondering why this topic was posted now, after 1 year (I think) from Chrome/Google OS launch

Chrome OS and Ubuntu are a unstable version of Debian, upgraded for each 3rd part organization.

Not exactly, ubunutu is stable version of debian. Most of the ubuntu team members are also part of debian community. Unstable debian version is patched and results are committed back to debian tree by ubuntu. Check debian's role for ubuntu. Ubuntu being derivative of debian is much stable and release cycle's are of 6month. You can read more about discussion on ubuntu's stable version cycle in comparison to debian here.

I was wondering why this topic was posted now, after 1 year (I think) from Chrome/Google OS launch

Chrome OS is not officially launched. There are some developer beta leaked and screenshots are shown on lifehacker blog.There is announcement about ChromeOS being shipped with netbooks. But no official announcement and download site is up yet.

what .net really is? Google Chrome OsIs it a language or technology? And whether it is platform independent like java.-question by noor

Wow... Google chrome OS. I probably will never use this as I am very happy with the current OS I use, but this is just pretty cool to see that Google is extending their capabilities. It's also kind of scary ;)