xisto Community
takerraj

Microsoft Security Essentials Free Is Out Now

Microsoft Security Essentials, code named Morro, a free antivirus was released yesterday. MSE comes with all those features that other free antivirus gives. Also MSE installer size is only 5 MB (Vista/7) and 9 MB (XP). Very low on system resources. PC World free antivirus comparison says that MSE is not bad. It is as effective as AVG free.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I tried this and I like it.

As i've guessed it, they mixed multiple products into one. Their anti-malware and anti-virus product is mixed into single product. They mixed some of the products they intended to ship with onecare product line. As of now MSE is free to download. But i expect future versions will be paid or will be mixed with options like pro, enterprise etc. If not then i don't see how they'll benefit from MSE. Also MSE did performed very well in most of the security tests. Other anti-virus companies started to talk against MSE. But it's all market competition, they were meant to enter to into this someday. It's just that they have to make it optional download. Otherwise they'll get into monopoly issue once again.

I have this installed on both Windows XP and Windows 7. So far the program looks really simple. I'm not sure about the program's effectiveness since it hasn't detected anything though. Maybe it will catch something one day.As for benefits to Microsoft, perhaps it will reduce their support calls/chats/emails because people can fix it themselves using the software they provide?

There are mixed reviews for the MSE. Some say it is lightweight and good. Some say it is not good at heuristic mode. Some antivirus companies are bashing against microsoft. i can't get through different opinion. I would like to check it myself. I'll try and install it on windows xp which i installed in vmware.

From tech-tree review here i found that it should not be used along with other anti-virus software. You can read more about it here. Other microsoft review sites like winsupersite and lockergnome have more of biased opinion. So i'll not check those reviews as of now. Anyone knows any other good review site where we can know more about features ?

So far I've only heard good things about MSE, tough that doesn't mean that I'll take it, I still prefer using a program from a company that has experience in the security field ... something Microsoft isn't realy good at (so far they've only bought some small security solutions, renamed them and then tried selling them to the public).@starscream: you mention Microsoft wouldn't benefit from this application if it kept distributing it for free but I do believe Microsoft can indeed benefit from it if the general public accepts this program as the easy solution to make Windows more safe and reliable :D .

I think this is just another sly software update to make sure Microsoft still keeps their foot in the door. It's there attempt to roll out their updates, enforce thier windows genuine advantage and other similar copy protection features. It might look like a simple and straight forward program but like all software there is still information about your PC that is revealed during online updates or customer feedback.I think AVG Free edition and other free lite flavors of online protection are your best method of protecting your pc. First you save money every year, you can change software with no loss, and can always install more than one software at time so you are not limited to on vendors virus definitions.That being said, this just microsoft initial release, who knows when their drop support for this. They're (microsoft) is just get the public use to their products interface to help you make that transistion to Windows Vista, Windows 7, etc. Like Microsoft Office you you start using it you eventually need it. :D

I think AVG Free edition and other free lite flavors of online protection are your best method of protecting your pc. First you save money every year, you can change software with no loss, and can always install more than one software at time so you are not limited to on vendors virus definitions.
That being said, this just microsoft initial release, who knows when their drop support for this. They're (microsoft) is just get the public use to their products interface to help you make that transistion to Windows Vista, Windows 7, etc. Like Microsoft Office you you start using it you eventually need it. :D

I agree with your first para, Free security softwares are enough for most of our needs. But I didn't get you at the point, that you said that we can install more than one software at a time.... Actually what software are you talking about levimage? About antivirus or other softwares? Microsoft Security Essentials is also similar to AVG, it's free and you can remove it any time and shift to other antivirus. You are not forced to use it. It's your wish to use it or not.

@starscream: you mention Microsoft wouldn't benefit from this application if it kept distributing it for free but I do believe Microsoft can indeed benefit from it if the general public accepts this program as the easy solution to make Windows more safe and reliable

Care to tell me how ? I don't see any revenue generation in free antivirus programs. Unless create your own virus and give solution to customers. (Norton style).

Thats not effective as others like avast and aviraalthough its giving a competition to the avg free edition i still wouldnt prefer to take the file and i think professionals are there out in the market that are taking care of the viruses in the market

For free antivirus avira is the best. But if you want a good protection buy a license, use demos or pirated licenses. Haha.
To be more exactly. All free antivirus is a good choice if you are a few experimented in pc world and if you have a suspicious file you can scan free in Virus Total which is a free anti-viruses database file scanner. Also you can compare the Antivirus softwares with in that website making a comparison.

Pirated license ? lol. Pirated software have licenses ?. No. they're patched or cracked softwares. Besides MSE is free tool. It doesn't require any license or serial key. So you don't need to hunt for the license key anywhere or to spend money from CC. Avira is good but not perfect, it lacks with rootkits. Other antivirus like ESET Nod32 does perform well against rootkit. Never tried virus total. I'll try it on VMware. Thanks for the link.

You can test the antiviruses with Virustotal. BTW. I said about pirated licenses because there are many, for example for Kaspersky, are dedicated websites with pirated licenses, which work some days, weeks, months.....or you can use a Trial Resetter. This is the reason I said pirated licenses. Also many have like usernames the website link. I prefer Kaspersky, but is not very expensive, so I prefer to buy it. Buy many times I'm using Norton 360, because when I bought my pc came with Norton 360 and I saw the system is more faster with it.

I know about such warez sites for licenses. Which sold licenses at cheaper costs by calling them backup cds or backup licenses. I did tried kaspersky and experience was not good. I found so many pop-ups while i was surfing. It used to pop about active-x security issues. Switched to firefox later and still it was complaining with some error. I know that product is good but earlier version was not comfortable for me. Norton internet protection is shipped with most of the HP/Dell Pc's or laptops. And the performance of computer because of norton antivirus is decreased. I didn't find anything better in that antivirus. It failed to catch spywares which was detected by Spybot search and destroy. So i can safely say that spyware protection feature in norton didn't worked with me. So it's strange to hear that norton is not affecting performance in your case.I tried AVG, which was free upto 7.5 version. I like it performance wise. And it was good at spyware and malicious script detection. Now i'm using NOD32 antivirus. Quite good antivirus cost some bucks but worth every cent of it. Good at performance, not affecting PC performance in any way. Protection and autoupdate feature is also less annoying.

When you're using Kaspersky you need to make one important thing: Disable all pop-ups warning messages from the settings panel. I know is very annoying if you have activated the warning for any little change of your system. For example: if you playing a game and wanna save in game, a little very annoying pop-up will appear and will kick you out of the game (from fullscreen). I did not playing games, but I'm working with programs like PuTTY, Adobe and much more and I prefer Norton 360 instead of Kaspersy, because I never had ""blocked host" with Norton, but with Kaspersky I was booted many times from puTTY.It's something like this:Kaspersky ------------ Security 10 Stealth 4 (9 with warning messages disabled) Norton-----------------Security 8.5Stealth 10 (all time)

Edited by demlasjr (see edit history)