xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
takerraj

Fedora Is Same As Windows Xp

I am on a limited bandwidth internet connection, I mainly use linux to save bandwidth. Because on XP, almost every program connects to internet silently and download updates thus eating away my bandwidth space. So, I shifted to Fedora and no use, Fedora is also doing the pretty same thing I think. Fedora is automatically installing security updates. How can I stop it to save the bandwidth?

First Question does fedora have a method of telling it to notify you when there are updates available and you tell it to only tell you that they are updates ready and not to download said updates. If you can do this then that should use less bandwidth, if not then disable updates if you can. i suppose you could actually look for ways how to increase your bandwidth because that might help you out and then there would be nothing else needed to be done.

What version of Fedora are we talking about?I use to be a heavy Fedora advocate, but due to the way they headed, I jumped onto another distribution, but I think they too are planning the same thing.Usually all distributions have an update feature, that would check for updates.But unless you told it to update for you automatically (usually in the installation), it would download updates for you as specified, otherwise it would just notify you of updates. I think you would be using PackageKit, and you should have the ability to stop it from checking and downloading updates. If memory serves me right, Look in Systems | System Settings | Add/Remove Software | Settings then change Check for Software, Auto Install and Notify. If you prefer manually running updates, and wouldn't use packagekit, then get rid of it and use something like yum to upgrade, or if you do want a front end but one that isn't persistent then try yumex.Cheers,MC

What version of Fedora are we talking about?

I use Fedora Leonidas. I don't update manually, I use Kpackageit. Fedora is asking me and then it is updating. But I remember that once Fedora has said that it is updating important security updates without asking my permission and has eaten a 200 MB space. Now it is working fine.

This may or may not help but install wireshark and check which programs are connecting to internet and if transferring any bytes. Wireshark works on linux as well as on windows. So you can check the same on windows, and close those programs. There are alternative ways to monitor bandwidth and programs which connect to internet on windows and linux. Such programs are handy when you want to keep tab on bandwidth used.