xisto Community
takerraj

Kubuntu Video Playback Problem

Hi friends, I am using Kubuntu and installed Gstreamer plugins (all bad, base, good, ugly multiverse etc). I am using Dragon player. The video is playing, I can here the sound but the display is a blue color screen. Normally on Ubuntu, I used this command gstreamer-properties in terminal and change the output video plugin. This is the solution for Ubuntu. But this thing is not working on Kubuntu.Whenever I use this command, gstreamer-properties I am getting thisgstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'alsasink'gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'artsdsink'gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'esdsink'gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'pulsesink'gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'glimagesink'gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'sdlvideosink'gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'v4lmjpegsrc'gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'qcamsrc'gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'alsasrc'gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'esdmon'gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'pulsesrc'Also, Mplayer isn't working. When I try to play any file it says that a fatal error has occurred and the error is this :Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.Is there any way to solve these problems.

What to do now? Shall I remove these gstreamer plugins and install another player. May be its time for me to try Xine. Till now I only used gstreamer plugins. I tried VLC friends. It didn't worked well on ubuntu. Anyone suggest me a good player which works on Kubuntu.

Are you sure the file isn't corrupted ? Mplayer comes with a lot of codecs and so far the only files that didn't work in Mplayer were those that were completely screwed up (except maybe flv files from youtube with which it seems to have some problems).

Mplayer doesn't even play an mp3 wutske. There is some problem with the video output device I think. The problem is not with files. See the error that I posted above. I didn't have much of these problems on Ubuntu. Also it won't detect my ADSL, but thanks to pppoeconf. I used it to connect to internet. Why so many problems on Kubuntu, I didn't had even one error on ubuntu. Why so many on Kubuntu? Is it the problem with KDE. I actually shifted to Kubuntu mainly because of KDE. If I can have KDE on Ubuntu then there won't be much problem to me I guess...

For the mplayer -vo problem:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=20039

For playing mp3's you should make sure you have the fluendo mp3 package installed (most distro's don't come with mp3 support by default because of the licensing).

Also, try removing some of the gstreamer codec packages, maybe there is a conflict.

I recently read somewhere that there are lot of problems with this gstreamer plugins. Which one is the most stable one, Xine or Mplayer?

I prefer Xine but MPlayer is just as good.

If you don't want to care about codecs and etc., just use VLC.

xboxrulz