xisto Community
takerraj

Is This The Mandriva Way? Need a shortcut to mount windows drives

Hi friends, I have been a Ubuntu user for a long time. In Ubuntu, I used to use windows drives (NTFS) as normal as any other drive. Just a double click will open the drive for me. But in Mandriva to open a drive I have to go through a long procedure. I have to go to Local Disks option in customize your computer section. Then I have to create a mount point for each one of the NTFS partition and mount them. Then only I will be able to use NTFS partitions. Doing this everytime is time wasting. So guys, any other ways to mount NTFS drives on Mandriva?

What you describe is not the standard Mandriva Way.You will have to explain more precisely what you are doing (are you trying to open internal drives ?)However, the usual way for Mandriva is : you click on the drive and it opens it.For instance when you perform a fresh install of Mandriva on a machine having Microsoft Windows already installed, you see the Windows drives and you click on them.Same thing with the USB pendrives, if automount is installed, they are automatically mounted and you simply double-click.You cand boot on the MandrivaOne LiveCD, which allows you running Mandriva without installing it, and check all these features on a this ready-to-use system.Probably your problem is due to a failed or a partial install.Also, have a look somewhere else : probably the mountpoints are already created for you and you just have to use them, they are probably in the /mnt folder.Hope this helped.Yordan

Normaly the automount deamon (AMD) should do this for you, especialy when it's an external drive.Internal drives can be automounted by changing the fstab file (/etc/fstab). Google a bit :(

Internal drives can be automounted by changing the fstab file (/etc/fstab). Google a bit :(

And usually the fstab file settins are correctly implemented during a fresh install of Mandriva.

Actually whenever I tried to open the drive I get this error :¨An error occurred while accessing ´Local Disk´, the system responded org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.PermissionDenied. Device /dev/sda5 is listed in /etc/fstab. Refusing to mount.¨Then I am doing the above steps that I mentioned in above post (lengthy procedure) to open the drive.

Have you set the 'user' parameter for the drive ?

It should look like:

/dev/sda5  /mountpoint  ntfs-3g  user,gid=users 0 0

The user parameter allows normal users to mount the disk.
Edited by wutske (see edit history)

Now it is working. Till now I just mounted it and forgot to save the configuration. Now I mounted them and saved configuration. It´s all fine now. Thank you friends for sharing your ideas. Now I know what is fstab file all about and how to use it.