xisto Community
FirefoxRocks

Top 10 Ways To Break Your Laptop

https://www.cnet.com/news/ten-ways-to-break-your-laptop/

I guess spilling stuff on the laptop (#1) would be the most common, but my personal favourite is #9.

The List:
10. Sorry, honey, I punched the laptop: "Striking a laptop computer with a fist, even while (the laptop is) closed, will jostle the logic board and stop the computer," said Joseph Kouyoumjian, president and founder of MicroReplay. Estimated repair cost: $1,000.

9. Facebook freakout: A teenage girl discovers a picture of her boyfriend kissing another girl becomes outraged and flings her MacBook off the desk, sending it crashing onto the hardwood floor. Estimated repair cost: $475.

8. Cockpit crusher: The pilot of a commercial Airbus A320 moves his seat forward while the laptop is on the floor, crushing the case and breaking the logic board. Estimated repair cost: $800.

7. Temper Toss (a subset of the "Facebook freakout"): Thrown objects can easily break a laptop's screen. "If you receive bad news on your BlackBerry, resist the temptation to throw near your open Apple MacBook Air." Estimated repair cost: $500.

6. Hurling. "If you puke on your laptop, don't even tell the laptop computer repair company what the liquid is," notes Kouyoumjian. "If we know it's bodily fluid, we don't want it." Estimated repair cost: Fix it yourself, please.

5. Passing out drunk on your Dell laptop: Your sleeping bodyweight can bend the case, and may also ruin the screen. Estimated repair cost: $325--$500.

4. MacBook laptop as foot stool, or scale: No Laptop computer is designed to support your weight, so stepping on your laptop will almost certainly break it. Repair cost: Depends on how much you weigh....

3. Ear buds as laptop or notebook computer terrorist: "Closing your laptop with your ear buds inside will crack the screen," according to Kouyoumjian. "This kind of laptop computer repair is growing with alarming speed. It seems we love our ear buds, yet forget that they are not made of cushy foam. We see a lot of cracked screens as a result." Estimated repair cost: $440.

2. Your 5-year-old discovers gravity! Any time you drop your laptop from more than 2 feet, it can shake loose a chip or board, and break the machine. Estimated repair cost: $300.

1. Starbucks hates your keyboard: "Liquid spills on a laptop's keyboard short them out every time. Maybe it's the caffeine that makes us jittery, but so many laptops are killed by coffee there should be a warning on the paper cup." Estimated repair cost: $350 to $500, depending on the amount of time the computer was left running after the spill.

i got a new laptop for my girlfriend it cost £600 she did not like it coz it never had a cam built in and she said her "old" 1 was better as we all no this was absurd then she dropped it and it broke. well i said ur old computer is better than this now and its the first time i agreed with her...lol

Funny reasons to destroy your laptop, but also quite true.. Some people usually do stuff like that with fluids, but the computer continues to work, just not all the keyboard keys works as expected or usually the screen brakes that you can't see anything.. What a pity, I always try to be careful with my laptop ;]

if i every get a lap top then i will try to avoid every single one of these ways to break your laptop. would another bodyweight be having hanky panky on the laptop if you know what i mean. I know never to go on your laptop when your drunk then i would go on my computer whne i m drunk instead knowing me i would most likely go on all of the adult sites that are on the internet. there again who wouldn't do that i mean alot of people just can't resist that temptation after all it is hardcoded in to our very nature i m sure cave men went to the strip cave in the time that they wasn't hunting. i know i wouldn't damage my laptop at a starbucks simply because i prefer to make my own coffee because i can have as strong as i want and not as strong as someone else wants it too be thats something that i really hate don't you. i would really hate myself for days afterwards if i did break my computer or laptop for something as sily as spilling something on it or crushing underneath something unless i did it on purpose if i goot a brand new laptop and was getting rid of a old use and prehistoric laptop that couldn't run anything higher than windows 98.another thing that would cause alot of damage to a laptop would be if you put it in the boot of a car if you was travelling to somewhere and then you acidently pressed a button that openned the boot and the laptop went flying out and hit the road going fater than your car say 80mph on a motorway like the M1.

would you be able to get a laptop repaired in this situation. 1st you are sat around and want to go to town but there is snow about and you car engine can not get the right temperture to start up so you go on bike. but you can not get it through a foot of snow without clearing a route but you do not want to be stopping every so often to clear a route. 2nd you go upstairs to check the news on the laptop and it shuts down and will not turn back on you punch the wall then you get and idea. 3rd you open up the laptop (not inside the casing just lifting up the screen.) you notice that its shape is perfect for plowing through the snow. 4th you attach the laptop to the front of your bike (i dont know how you can dicide yourselves.). 5th you set of and notice that no one is in a car but instead inside knowing that they can not get anywhere you ride by plowing through the snow cheerfully. 6th you get into town and lock you bike near to the computer repair store. 7th you detactch the laptop from your bike and take it to the store tell them it shut itself down and now will not turn itself back on and you say you tried the charger and that did not work. 8th he asks why the case is bent and you turn round and say are you calling me gay. 9th you give him yourlife time guaruntee and tell him it says i can have it fixed free no matter what the damage is and/or caused by. 10th he then asked how it got into this stae and you tell him well i needed a snow plow to get here in the first place.

Interesting there are a few other ways that laptops have been broken:

(1) Recently, a American woman had her MacBook shot with three bullets by Israeli border guards. The entire laptop, apart from the hard disk drive with its data intact, was destroyed.

Article: http://appleinsider.com/topic/general/y_officers.html

(2) Another way to have a laptop broken was to get it run over by a truck. In this case, another aluminimum MacBook was run over and bent beyond being usable.

Article: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I've personally had a laptop go down from my gf. If she is tired and there is a laptop bag on a bed and it's in the way of her feet (especially while stretching in sleep)... there is a chance it will fall on the floor.And if the laptop is no the floor. An little kids come tromping in the room. There is a good change they want to step on a closed laptop if it is on the floor or even closed on the bed. I don't know why. My closed laptop (2002) can take the weight of 28 lb kid. There is just minor marks on the screen. Good thing the screen was not glossy and could give a little.Laptop bags/carriers and such are a big culprit when i comes to screens get cracked. We usually by the cheap discounted bags or anything that is on sale. Little do we know it is actually our insurance were purchasing. Not from ourselves but from others, strangers, kids, storage, and the elements (rain, humidity, dust, etc.).I also know someone who had a screen cracked cause her travel luggage crushed the neoprene-like zip-able laptop sleeve. Screen looked like a spiderweb! ;)Levimage :PKids also like poking the screen just to see that ripple effect... me to ;)

I've had water spilled on my keyboard before instead of a laptop. Surprisingly it worked for like a week then started printing out random letters for the keys.If I ever do decide to get a laptop I'm getting the most durable one I can. I don't want it dieing in some stupid way.