xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
puzzledgranny

Toshiba Keyboard Stuck In Shortcut Mode

My 2 year old grandson had a field-day with my older Toshiba laptop today. I believe the shortcut key option is stuck "on". I cannot type any words or numbers at all. When I press "p" print options appear, when I press "o" all sorts of programs want to open, etc. I tried tryping in address bar but cannot get any words to appear in address bar. I tested it by opening Note Pad with mouse and attempted to type but letters and number would not appear. It seems like the Control Key always on or the computer is automatically in "short-cut key mode". If anyone know how to disable this, please help me. I am using a Toshiba Satelite and Windows XP operating system. There is not a virus visible b'caus I ran a check and all my anti-virus software is up to date. All my Toshiba updates have been done also. I haven't turned off computer yet b'cause I don't know what will happen if i try to power back up again. Please help, thanks in advance. :(

The shortcut for printing is "Ctrl-P".This makes me think that the stuck key is the "control" key, and not the shortcut key.Same thing with "ctrl-O", which is the shortcut for "open".Have a look at the "control" key, probably the keyboard had a nice shock on the bottom-left edge, you can try forcing the "control" key to go up, releasing this "control-click" feature.

ya or the key might have gone insidethere was such a problem with my friend in the same way what ever you type you get a 'v' along with itso we had to replace the keyboard

on most keyboard you can pry off the keys and they are designed to come on and off try prying your key off and then cleaning underneath with a cotton swab and then once putting the key back on press it repeatedly a bunch of times.

I need help my son was messing on my laptop and my sreen size has been made smaller and I have tried all sorts and cant seem 2 get it back to its original size to fill the screen. Does any one know how I can change it back??? 

-reply by Amhughs

thanks!Toshiba Keyboard Stuck In Shortcut Mode

Thank you so much! The same thing happened to me, so I did an internet search that led me here.  I was getting very frustrated, as this is my old backup computer, and the only one I have until I replace the one I just lost.  It still sucks that you can't permanently disable it though, and I don't want an external keyboard as I travel a lot :(  At least I know what to do, but they couldn't have put it in a place more likely to get accidentally hit with the program I use the most (beatcraft)...

-reply by Stacy