xisto Community
surfermac

Not Able To Get Internet On Ubuntu

i am from india and i use reliance usb internet broadband + and i m not able to connect to internet out with it i have tried out some methods mentioned all over the internet and failed in retrieving the interneti need some software for the linux platform that gives me usb modem connectivityif any one can suggest its good and if it works its betterpresently i m using amd athlon processor and gigabyte mother board with 512mb ramso if any of the suggestion fits these please give me some info

hm, never used usb connection before. i suppose you've tried ndiswrapper. what's your usb modem? are you sure there is no driver, patch, or method mentioned in the internet?

i am from india and i use reliance usb internet broadband + and i m not able to connect to internet out with it i have tried out some methods mentioned all over the internet and failed in retrieving the internet
i need some software for the linux platform that gives me usb modem connectivity
if any one can suggest its good and if it works its better
presently i m using amd athlon processor and gigabyte mother board with 512mb ram
so if any of the suggestion fits these please give me some info

hm, never used usb connection before. i suppose you've tried ndiswrapper. what's your usb modem? are you sure there is no driver, patch, or method mentioned in the internet?

i have tried all the methods tried out by the people who claimed they had got to connect to internet through the one i m using
but that still doesnt work for me

Usually the usb modems have a Microsoft Windows software for, first configuring the modem, secondly to access the Internet.So, maybe you should borrow a laptop with Windows in order use the Windows software whcich will configure the modem, and then use a ndis trick in order to use the Windows driver inside a Linux Machine.You know what ? These kind of funny things are one of the reasons why people will not easily switch to Linux, so many things are manufactured to be used with Microsoft Windows!

Hey surfermac,You haven't provided enough details for anyone to really help you out here.What distribution of Linux are you using? e.g. Ubuntu 8.10, Fedora Core 10, etcWhat is the make/model of your USB modem?Without this information I can't really suggest what steps you should take.Cheers,MC

Hey surfermac,
You haven't provided enough details for anyone to really help you out here.

What distribution of Linux are you using? e.g. Ubuntu 8.10, Fedora Core 10, etc

What is the make/model of your USB modem?

Without this information I can't really suggest what steps you should take.

Cheers,

MC

i used ubuntu 9 and tried all the methods
its not just one but i tried on many
like linux mint ,ubuntu 7 ubuntu 8
i tried on all the debian based systems
and the usb modem model is hawuei ec168c
so can you solve it as i want to desperately use linux on my system
Edited by surfermac (see edit history)

Usually the usb modems have a Microsoft Windows software for, first configuring the modem, secondly to access the Internet.So, maybe you should borrow a laptop with Windows in order use the Windows software whcich will configure the modem, and then use a ndis trick in order to use the Windows driver inside a Linux Machine.
You know what ? These kind of funny things are one of the reasons why people will not easily switch to Linux, so many things are manufactured to be used with Microsoft Windows!

what is the ndis trick
and how can i use windows driver out inside a linux machine

what is the ndis trick and how can i use windows driver out inside a linux machine

The ndis trick is exactly that : use a Windows driver and add it as to Linux for use with a physical device.
However doing it is not always obvious, because you sometimes have to edit the drivers description, so you should find somewhere a ready-made description for the way of using the ndis wrapper for your precise device.
And of course this probably supposes that your device has already been configured for your internet account (internet user and password for instance) which is usually done by a windows program, so maybe you will have to use "wine" in order to start that windows program inside your Linux machine.

There has been a improvement guysi have installed ubuntu 9 today and found out that the ubuntu 9 has detected the usb modem butit is asking out for some keyring password of the default keyringi have not been able to find this password i tried out all the passwords that i use for all my accounts on ubuntu 9and there are some files missing like the wvdial.conf i think i need this file to conect to the internetand also there is a missing usbserial moduleif any one finds these and can tell me how to install then it would be helpful

about keyring password, you have to enter password you've provided during the installation, probably your root password. you can also try this mays :

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=349302

There has been a improvement guys

i have installed ubuntu 9 today and found out that the ubuntu 9 has detected the usb modem but

it is asking out for some keyring password of the default keyring

i have not been able to find this password i tried out all the passwords that i use for all my accounts on ubuntu 9

and there are some files missing like the wvdial.conf i think i need this file to conect to the internet

and also there is a missing usbserial module

if any one finds these and can tell me how to install then it would be helpful

thanks for the reply and i even tried out the thing of deleting the default keyring file

but still it didnt prompt me about the password no matter what i do i m not able to access my internet and i want to quote another problem that

i need some thing called the usbserial module onto my ubuntu

if anyone found a package containing this please send me the link

i m desperate

about keyring password, you have to enter password you've provided during the installation, probably your root password. you can also try this mays :

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=349302

did you try this :
it says that you have to install usbmodeswitch.

thanks for the reply and i even tried out the thing of deleting the default keyring filebut still it didnt prompt me about the password no matter what i do i m not able to access my internet and i want to quote another problem that
i need some thing called the usbserial module onto my ubuntu
if anyone found a package containing this please send me the link
i m desperate