xisto Community
voodoo5010

Donations Vs Buying

Hey,I've recently started programming my own text based game and was wondering why some sites sell upgrades in the form of donations and why others just say buy.Just to make sure its clear. Site A has a donation where you can donate say $5 and you get game specific items, where as similar site has the game specific items listed as you can buy them.Is this due to a legal issue or does it have to do with marketing?Any other information on any legal aspects of building and launching a text based game would be great. The last thing I want to do is launch a simple game and then end up with some legal issue.Thanks.

Any other information on any legal aspects of building and launching a text based game would be great. The last thing I want to do is launch a simple game and then end up with some legal issue.

I think that creating a text-based game has no legal issues by itself. However, if you want to get money for that, if you want to sell items (even if these are virtual items) in most of countries you need to obtain a patent, and you will have to pay local taxes proportionally to the money you earn.This could explain the difference between "buying" and "donations". Except that there is no legal difference. If I give you money, for no reason, because I want to give you some money, from your point of view it's a revenue and you have to pay income tax on it ! :(

"'In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."--Benjamin Franklin, 1817

It might also be a way around supplying support. There is a clear expectation of service when you pay for an item but the expectation may not be as strong for a âdonation.â

As a text based game developer, i have found that the main reason for people to use donations rather than outright purchases is usually to circumvent some restrictive license element of the game engine being used. My personal view is that games of these types should be free, no donations, no micro payments etc, my game, when finished will be just that 100% free to play for everyone.