xisto Community
takerraj

Nero 9 Free Edition Nero releases first free edition

~270MB hard drive space for a typical installation of all components.

What the hell is it installing that it requires 270Mb ? CDBurnerXP is also a basic cd/dvd burner, it's also free and it only needs 7Mb, quite a difference :D .
I think I'm going to stick with what I have now, it does the trick so no need to change that :(

~270MB hard drive space for a typical installation of all components.

What the hell is it installing that it requires 270Mb ? CDBurnerXP is also a basic cd/dvd burner, it's also free and it only needs 7Mb, quite a difference :D .
I think I'm going to stick with what I have now, it does the trick so no need to change that :(

//EDIT: oops, double post, didn't notice it because internet connection was acting up again *sigh*

Edited by wutske (see edit history)

Well you see, you get to experience some high end graphics in there, so it does take some space... :( nope me too have no idea why it takes so much space, and that too of the free version, with basic features.Anyway it is a great move. Giving something for free and also a paid Pro version for more features. I suppose the basic features are more than enough for an average user with some essential features like Rewritable CD erasing, Image file burning, etc.Not many of us use CDs/DVD's these days, at least I don't. I mainly use portable Hard Disk for transferring files, but yes for permanent backups, writing to discs is the best option.So giving away the free version might boost the usage of Nero software.

What the hell is it installing that it requires 270Mb ?

I think the last version you used may be Nero 7 or Nero 8. Nero 7 takes around 1.32 GB. so is the case with Nero 8. But Nero 9 takes only 10.7 mb. In program files it took 130 MB only. Not bad!

Here is the proof :

Posted Image

The Nero 9 free version only has data burning and disc copying feature (which is not there in CDburnerXP). It can erase re-writables.

I did not try it yet, but I guess that most of the libraries are included in the free version, and only some small binaries are not included. So, most of space needed for the full feature is exhausted, and the paid facilities are there but are not accessible.From the commercial version of Nero, I only use "create a data CD", "create a data DVD", "copy a CD/DVD" , and burn an ISO image. If all of these are included in the free version, I don't need to buy the commercial version any more! I will save a lot of money! :(

From the commercial version of Nero, I only use "create a data CD", "create a data DVD", "copy a CD/DVD" , and burn an ISO image. If all of these are included in the free version, I don't need to buy the commercial version any more! I will save a lot of money! :(

Nero free edition lack burning iso image feature. I am seeing if there is any workaround. Apart from burning images it has the other two features you've mentioned. Edited by takerraj (see edit history)

Nero free edition lack burning iso image. I am seeing if there is any workaround. Apart from burning images it has the other two features you've mentioned.

Too bad. I really need to burn ISO images when I want to try a new free Linux distro.

Too bad. I really need to burn ISO images when I want to try a new free Linux distro.

you can use virtual box and boot from iso rather than wasting your cd :(

you can use virtual box and boot from iso rather than wasting your cd :(

Of course. Unfortunately, the graphic drivers are sometimes buggy, so the mouse does not work properly on virtual machines, and I have to test with real systems.

Of course. Unfortunately, the graphic drivers are sometimes buggy, so the mouse does not work properly on virtual machines, and I have to test with real systems.

What do you mean with that? I didn't have any problem with virtualbox. What kind of distro you're using inside virtualbox? And maybe your virtualbox version.

What do you mean with that? I didn't have any problem with virtualbox. What kind of distro you're using inside virtualbox? And maybe your virtualbox version.

My pleasure is testing permanently testing new versons as soon as I see one arising. I will tell you next time one of them has a problem with virtual machines.

what's virtual machine you're using now? are you using virtualbox or other software, like winblows virtual machines?...btw, let's talk about this in another section :(

what's virtual machine you're using now? are you using virtualbox or other software, like winblows virtual machines?...btw, let's talk about this in another section :(

I will open a separate topic as soon as I have something new about this subject, namely during my next test. And of course, don't hesitate to open a topic if you have tests results before.