xisto Community
Wiizzard

Google Chromeos Goggles own OS

Hi @ all.Google's ChromeOS will be open source, lightweight operating system that will initially be targeted at netbooks.Netbooks running Google Chrome OS will be available for consumers in the second half of 2010.Speed, simplicity and security are the key aspects of Google Chrome OS.They're designing the OS to be fast and lightweight, to start up and get you onto the web in a few seconds.Google Chrome OS will run on both x86 as well as ARM chips.Google Chrome OS is a new project, separate from Android.Wiizzard

I doubt that because it's another cloud OS. AFAIK, it's kind of online OS, means that you have a real OS (google's using linux) and a chrome browser. Your tools can be downloaded online from the internet and run inside chrome. The problem is, could we use firefox inside chrome browser :( and, could we also install games etc? that would be questions google should answer.

I doubt that because it's another cloud OS.

I definitely hate if Google do that. I never liked this Cloud O.S. hype. Even Richard Stallman, founder of Linux and Free Software Foundation, warned people about this cloud O.S. In my sense Cloud O.S. is not a full fledged system. All those guys on low speed internet connections have to waste their time uploading their music.... I wonder why all these intelligent people go behind such crappy technology.

Chrome OS will be made for netbooks, those are small, lower powerd devices with very limited storage capacity and their main goal is to allow you to go online everywhere. There's nothing wrong with Google building an OS that does exactly what notebooks are initialy made for. Tough, fear not. It'll be just another linux os meaning you can easily extend it and customize it to your likings. You also have to look at the bright side. Google is spending a lot of money in linux and probably also in hardware support in linux, which means that Google is actualy improving almost every linux distribution available atm. And if you still aren't convinced, Chrome OS will probably be cheaper than Windows XP / Seven, thus you get a cheaper netbook on which you can instill every other linux distribution (or a copy of xp that you aren't using anymore). More netbook for your money :(And if this doesn't convice you, you are bloody stubborn and you should search the internet for ARM-based netbooks on which can run nothing but linux !

And if you still aren't convinced, Chrome OS will probably be cheaper than Windows XP / Seven, thus you get a cheaper netbook on which you can instill every other linux distribution (or a copy of xp that you aren't using anymore). More netbook for your money :(
And if this doesn't convice you, you are bloody stubborn and you should search the internet for ARM-based netbooks on which can run nothing but linux !

Well, I am not that stubborn Mr.Wutske. I am not saying that Google is bad, they are sucking money from customers........like that. What I am highlighting is the view of Richard Stallman on Cloud O.S. technology. He said if you use cloud technology then the data will be in the hands of others which is not good. He mentioned that your data has to be yours and it will be safer in your hands only. This is the view of Richard Stallman. Wutske view of Chrome O.S. is like another Ubuntu, which is standalone O.S. If such is the case then we all gladly welcome it. I am not a person who always spend life criticizing others. There is difference in my view and your view of Chrome O.S. Just want to clarify the misunderstanding between you and me.

Anyways I wait till Chrome is released, and definitely that will clarify my doubts about it.
Edited by takerraj (see edit history)

I have also looked into this OS but it doesn't really appeal to me. I think it will be all strung up with all other google stuff. I'd rather just stick to my nice clean Arch linux :(.

I have also looked into this OS but it doesn't really appeal to me. I think it will be all strung up with all other google stuff. I'd rather just stick to my nice clean Arch linux :( .

chrome OS means linux kernel + linux version of chrome browser. if google would maintain other packages freely too, then it should be OK. like, we can get google version of open office etc. but if we have to develope the packages by ourselves or download the tools from internet (which doubtly free), then we could have some problem here.

Well, I am not that stubborn Mr.Wutske. I am not saying that Google is bad, they are sucking money from customers........like that. What I am highlighting is the view of Richard Stallman on Cloud O.S. technology. He said if you use cloud technology then the data will be in the hands of others which is not good. He mentioned that your data has to be yours and it will be safer in your hands only. This is the view of Richard Stallman. Wutske view of Chrome O.S. is like another Ubuntu, which is standalone O.S. If such is the case then we all gladly welcome it. I am not a person who always spend life criticizing others. There is difference in my view and your view of Chrome O.S. Just want to clarify the misunderstanding between you and me.
Anyways I wait till Chrome is released, and definitely that will clarify my doubts about it.

I totaly agree on that one, you shouldn't give away all your data to someone or something, that's not realy a safe thing to do. The thing is, cloud os'es aren't forcing you to put your data online because there'll always be the internal hdd on which you can store data and if that isn't enough you can always plug-in a 16Gb USB-stick or something.

Tough, the most important thing is that you have to place it in the right context and a netbooks (which is ideal for running a cloud os) it's context lies closest to that of a smartphone. Nobody would ever think about putting his entire photo and music collection on a smartphone, so why would you want it on a netbook ?
Same goes for other data, you don't need all of it all the time, just make sure you have the most important stuff on it (or on a flash memory device).

And if you think about it, a cloud os is nothing more but a simple os that centralises a lot of the things you can find on the internet which you probably already use. Think about all the online e-mail services (Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo), networking services (Facebook, Netlog, Live, Hi5), IM-clients (WLM, Yahoo), VOIP (Skype, Ekiga), online storage (SkyDrive, Rapidshare, ...), online application (Adobe Live, Google Docs, Office Live, ...), ...
The most important thing about Chrome OS is that it'll be based on linux, thus you're absolutely not limited to all those online stuff. You can install openOffice.org, the GIMP, Pidgin, ... on it and continue working offline :( .

Btw, I've just tried Android-live and it makes perfectly sense that Google is developing another operating system for netbooks. It's maybe a little bit too lightweight and definitly needs a touchscreen :D .

I have reaad about this on many forums. And many of them are saying that this will load before Windows XP to load what will be required during the running of XP to provide maximum Speed. It will be Open source ( which means free). The best thing is that it will speed up the comps and you can get rid of that registry editors and system boosters. I cant wait to integrate it with my TinyXP. Hoping to see its release soon.

I have reaad about this on many forums. And many of them are saying that this will load before Windows XP to load what will be required during the running of XP to provide maximum Speed. It will be Open source ( which means free). The best thing is that it will speed up the comps and you can get rid of that registry editors and system boosters. I cant wait to integrate it with my TinyXP. Hoping to see its release soon.

Could you rephrase that ? Because I don't quite understand what you're trying to say. First of all, ChromeOS will be a linux based operating systems especialy designed for netbooks, so when you buy one it either comes with Chrome OS or Windows, not both of them.
Second, instead of fixing registry entries, you'll now find yourself digging in a lot of system files, scattered around the disk just to fix that one tiny little problem :( .

ok for now google chrome os is coming and every one's exited but it is just for pcs connected on a network what about normal pc s which we are using atout at our homeif this was the case that only the notebooks could use them then what should we do

Official Google blog says :

Google Chrome OS is an open source, lightweight operating system that will initially be targeted at netbooks. Later this year we will open-source its code, and netbooks running Google Chrome OS will be available for consumers in the second half of 2010.

Initially there release for netbooks and then they extend it to others I think. Two days back Mashable has released photos of Chrome OS. These screenshots are not official. In one of the screenshot it says developer beta. Have a look at it.

http://mashable.com/2009/08/15/google-chrome-os-screenshots/

Edited by takerraj (see edit history)

Recently i heard that google and sony had a deal. This deal was about chrome os. With this deal chrome will be shipped with sony vaio. This is good for google as they're likely to generate more revenue with this deal. I think soon, they'll expand this deal. And i think sony vaio maybe the first to ship chrome os. Not sure, but chances are always there that this deal will expand.

And as far as i know they're planning deploy cloud computing platform on chrome os. So chrome os will not be suitable for gaming, offline computing etc. It's likely to target heavy internet users, social media users. More into online usage as google earns more revenue with their online business. So this os is likely to be more of internet-only operating system.