xisto Community
turbopowerdmaxsteel

Using Astahost As Svn Server, Possible?

I'm not sure I understand what you name "a repository" for your files.On which system will the people from your project work ?If it's for your school, everything must be on your school server, and you can use your Xisto account as backup server.And a simple browser will give access to all your files, for display purposes.And in order to be able to put your files from your school's PC to your Xisto account, you only need to create a ftp username and password on your Xisto account (keep your own cpanel password secret, don't give it to anybody.And, of course, in order to do the job putting the files on your account server, you simply need a ftp client like portable Filezilla on your flashkey, you don't need to know Unix command-line things.

I have some Visual Studio Projects on which I work from home & office. As of now, I transfer the files in between the two using a pen drive. What I want is an online system where I can upload the changed files after I have worked on them and download them back on the other end. Another thing I need is the ability to store previous versions of the file. In short, Xisto is to act as the server which stores the most recent copies of files for synchronization and version control management.

Subversion (SVN) seems to be the best option for this. But, I am at a loss on how to get it's server end working at Xisto.

Edit: By Upload & Download I mean to be able to commit, rollback, update, etc - just like you have in CVS or other such tools.

Edited by turbopowerdmaxsteel (see edit history)

OK, now I understand what you want. And, of course, I understand the "command line" thing : most cvs users use it in command-line mode, and you need command-line access to your Xisto account.

Command line, you confused me yordan. I suppose you are talking about accessing/editing file through command line? I have no idea using this on server, in fact I am searching for some articles on shell access to set up my chat bot on server.

turbopowerdmaxsteel, you wouldn't need shell access if its just file uploads and downloads. Anyway Xisto gives you shell access. And yes, when you are sure that you have reliable good speed internet access both at home and office, then it would be much more easier to share files this way. There are many PHP scripts (I think you are going the linux way as you told) which have can do things you mentioned. Most of them are paid scripts, you can have a look at the features to see if this is what you wanted:

If paying is not an option, then you can go for free scripts, but they wouldn't offer all the features the paid ones have. At least I don't know of any such available for free. My suggestion is if you can manage the old files into folders systematically, kind of like CVS then you can use the free ones with basic functionality. Do let me know what you have in mind. I would be glad to help you.

Thanks for the response, guys. I have a script to manage uploads/downloads of my own. But, I need to be able to commit, rollback, etc, the files from inside visual studio or any IDE that supports SVN. Visual SVN plugin integrates the client end of Subversion into Visual Studio. They provide a windows only server side implementation.

I tried OpenSVN which fulfills my needs, but is too slow (when uploading files) to use. Then there is Google's implementation of SVN and SourceForge. Both of which require that my projects be open source. So, they are out of the question too.

Both of which require that my projects be open source. So, they are out of the question too.

This is the first real question. What is your project ? Do you wish to sell the results of your project ? Do you have problem giving the sources for free ? You know, that's the goal of the whole opensource thing : you use opensource tools, but the results have to be opensource.
If you want to do commercial business things, you have to buy commercial tools ! :(

I came across an article that describes how to setup subversion on a shared web host. Can you please go through the steps and let me know if this can be done successfully at Xisto? If so, I would like to add SSH to my hosting plan. How do I do that? I can't find a way to do this via Xisto - Support.com.

I would like to add SSH to my hosting plan. How do I do that? I can't find a way to do this via Xisto - Support.com.

Simply open a ticket at Xisto - Support, saying that you need ksh access to your account, and you will get it.

Subversion has been installed on the server. I am now having trouble in accessing repositories remotely.â¨â¨

Here's what I did:-â¨â¨

Use svnadmin to create a repository. For ex: svnadmin create ~/src/myappâ¨â¨I didn't create it inside the public_html directory because I don't want the files to be accessed from http.â¨â¨

This creates an empty repository, correct? Now, I am trying to commit my files to the repository. To do so, what URL should I use in TortoiseSVN?â¨â¨I tried the following command from shell to check if svn is working.â¨â¨svn list svn+ssh://maxotek.net/home/myusername/src/myappâ¨â¨I entered the password when asked. This gave me a warning: stdin: is not a tty.â¨â¨When I try to browse the repository by using TortoiseSVN using the url: svn+ssh://maxotek.net/home/myusername/src/myapp.

It asks for the password and then shows an error message: Network connection closed unexpectedly. For this, I followed the instructions and enabled the ssh tunneling option for TortoiseSVN.â¨â¨I also tried the http protocol.

When, I use the URL: example.com/home/myusername/src/myapp, it shows the error OPTIONS of ' example.com/home/myusername/src/myapp/ 200 OK. I suppose, this is because the repository is not located inside the public_html directory.â¨â¨So, I created another repository using: svnadmin create ~/public_html/src/myapp. Again tested that the repository exists with the following URLs:-â¨â¨â¨

• snv list svn+ssh://maxotek.net/home/myusername/public_html/src/myappâ¨
  • snv list svn+ssh://maxotek.net/public_html/src/myappâ¨
  • snv list svn+ssh://maxotek.net/src/myapp

The first URL one worked with the same warning: stdin: is not a tty. The rest showed an error No Repository found in ...â¨â¨I now try to access the repository using: example.com/src/myapp/. TortoiseSVN shows an error, Repository moved permanently to maxotek.net/src/myapp/; Please relocate.â¨â¨What am I doing wrong? How do I access my repository from TortoiseSVN?

Your command line is using ssh, and you obviously received an ssh error message. So, first of all, verify that you have ssh access to your account.Use a ssh client like putty, unless you already have installed ssh for windows on your PC.And, as you said, you cannot access your repository from http, because you located the files where they cannot be reached from outside.I would first try to re-install everything in a subfolder of your www directory, just for clarifying that you master the whole mechanism.And you probably also have permission problems, the programs running have the permissions of the php engine, so don't put them where only you have access, and no access for the engines.

I submitted a ticket asking for KSH support to be enabled on my account, just like you said. After the payment, I believe SSH was enabled on my account. SSH & KSH are the same things, correct? Also, I used putty to create the repositories. Following my request, SVN was installed globally on the server. svn+ssh protocol seems to be working when I try it through putty. It is an issue with TortoiseSVN's customized plink which acts as an SSH tunnel.

Out of curiosity, your plan is to get a SVN server up on the normal (shared) web host, not on VPS or anything, right?If so, I would love to know how to do it as well (assuming it is even possible).Also, I am assuming if you could get SVN up and running then things like Teamspeak should be able to run as well...?