xisto Community
FirefoxRocks

Windows 7 Browserless Version

Yordan, not all of the ppl understand that. Well, at least a n00b like me don't understand that ;p

You don't really need to understand. You simply need that these kind of things exist and can be transparently added to the initial windows installer, so you have nothing to do except clicking "Yes I want it" or "No I don't want", no browser is needed for that.

But M$ will put such a script only for downloading IE, right? M$ won't put other competitors' installation link, and others wont also let M$ put their installation link inside M$. Then, the only solution is to put IE inside Winblows and let the people to choose the right browser for them.

IE used to be a tool to download Firefox or Opera or any other browser :( and when using XP it's the only tool with which you could download and install Windows updates if you don't like the automatic updating, so it used to be very "useful" for this purpose.. On Vista and I guess on Windows 7 IE is good only for downloading other browser, but since IE8, lets face it, it's not so bad for a user which does not know how a computer works, IE8 is much better than IE7 and much much better than IE6, IE8 validates on Acid2 so with it most of websites will work as with older Firefox and Opera versions, it has tabs and it's quite fast, so I don't see any problems using it if it's not IE6 or IE7..For people who does not like IE, can use it to download other browser, so as I know when using Linux with KDE, I think Konqueror is by default on most distributions.. Because it's convenient.

But M$ will put such a script only for downloading IE, right? M$ won't put other competitors' installation link,

Personally, I don't know what M$ is going to do. I can guess what is easy to do and what could be complicated. But I have no idea if they really intend to automatically install competitor's browsers.By the way, if M$ has to automatically install competitor's browsers, I guess that reciprocally the competitors will have to do the same thing. I am curious to see on the Mozilla site a link "click here if you want to install IE6" :(

Funny Yordan :( M$ won't do such a thing. But maybe they'll forge firefox source, remake it, rename it into M$ ChillyFox and sell it for a few bucks, and says "Enjoy FF performance and M$ Update supporting browser in once".

Funny Yordan :( M$ won't do such a thing. But maybe they'll forge firefox source, remake it, rename it into M$ ChillyFox and sell it for a few bucks, and says "Enjoy FF performance and M$ Update supporting browser in once".

ChillyFox ! I love it ! Would it be bundled with WranglerBird for the mails ?

Personally, I don't know what M$ is going to do. I can guess what is easy to do and what could be complicated. But I have no idea if they really intend to automatically install competitor's browsers.By the way, if M$ has to automatically install competitor's browsers, I guess that reciprocally the competitors will have to do the same thing. I am curious to see on the Mozilla site a link "click here if you want to install IE6" :(

But Mozilla doesn't have an operating system so it wouldn't make sense for them to put a link telling people to download Internet Explorer.
Edited by FirefoxRocks (see edit history)

ChillyFox ! I love it ! Would it be bundled with WranglerBird for the mails ?

Lol, but why not :(

But Mozilla doesn't have an operating system so it wouldn't make sense for them to put a link telling people to Internet Explorer.

Sorry for being OOT, but I wonder if google or mozilla forge linux and create new distro, maybe Mozinux :D

Sometimes I think that to much distributions for Linux could make a lot of people, especially beginners to be confused :DEveryone is talking about browsers, as it's getting to be one of the most important tools, because in some way it is.. Some office software is being replaced with applications working on browsers, because you can do a lot using HTML and CSS + Javascript and all those AJAX and JQuery etc. It's easy to use for everyone, and programs written with C++ or C# needs to be installed on every computer, where a web application only needs to have a server. Of course, you never can replace with the same functionality Autocad, Photoshop and etc. ;)I hate web applications which only work with IE :(

Sometimes I think that to much distributions for Linux could make a lot of people, especially beginners to be confused :(

That's slightly off-topic in a "Windows 7" distro discussion.

I hate web applications which only work with IE6

Yes, we need more standardization. Today for my Office I have an application which works only with IE6. And, strangely, my gmail is currently freezing with IE6, but works correctly with firefox, and claims it works better with chrome. Which would mean that I must simultaneously use three different web browsers on my PC.Nevertheless, you are legitimately talking about Linux, because when everybody will have to use Firefox as a browser and will use OpenOffice for text and spreadsheet processing, there will be no need to stick to Microsoft Windows as OS, Linux will do the same job the same way.

I never knew Windows 7 was browserless. How the heck we suppose to download stuff with no browser?? That's a little stupid in my opinion. :(

That's a little stupid in my opinion. :(

You are right, it seems stupid. However, if a Judge tells Microsoft that he has to stop giving IE6 for free, this means that you have to buy your browser and stop getting it for free bundled with your OS.

Or, M$ could sell 2 version of Win7. $xxx for browserless version, and $1 extra for IE :( This will solve the problem :D

You are right, it seems stupid. However, if a Judge tells Microsoft that he has to stop giving IE6 for free, this means that you have to buy your browser and stop getting it for free bundled with your OS.

Or, M$ could sell 2 version of Win7. $xxx for browserless version, and $1 extra for IE :( This will solve the problem :D

That's probably the real full thing. We have learned about the first part, the browserless part for Europe only. The second part will probably arrive soon.

Why do you keep talking about IE6? It's IE8 that's bundled with Windows 7 for non-European versions.