xisto Community
FirefoxRocks

Windows 7 Browserless Version

Due to antitrust regulations and stuff I don't really understand, Microsoft is releasing a version of Windows 7 which is browserless. This version, called Windows 7 "E", is to be released in Europe only. Everyone else in Canada, US, Australia, any other non-European countries will receive the standard editions of Windows 7 (Home premium and Professional) with the Internet Explorer 8 browser included.

I think that this is a great option for Microsoft in order to help balance out the browser competition. Because Firefox and Opera are so popular in Europe already, it doesn't make a huge difference. I think that Microsoft however should release the "E" version to everyone, not just European countries.

Personally, I think the best option for this is when Windows 7 is first installed, a screen should come up asking if users want to install Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera or Chrome. These are the most popular browsers, and Microsoft can add others like Flock if they wish. This is the best option because if the operating system is browserless, you cannot go to Microsoft's web site (or Mozilla) to download Internet Explorer or Firefox.

More information can be found here: https://www.cnet.com/news/europe-to-get-windows-7-sans-browser-10262630/

Finally IE is no more an integral part of the Windows operating system. Yes, it would be nice if the browser less windows is released worldwide. Even though displaying a selection dialog to choose a browser during installation seems good, but Microsoft isn't going to do so. There's already a fierce browser wars with the new addition of chrome to the list, firefox becoming stronger and stronger day by day and the Opera's brand new version 10.IE has been dominating the market solely due to the fact that it comes bundled with Windows OS. And now when it is no more to be seen with windows, the market share of IE in Europe would decline at an alarming rate.The PC manufacturers now get to rake in some money from browser manufacturers., as they would have the choice which one of them to install or not or install many. I think a better option would be, to bundle a CD (like motherboard driver CD) with all of the popular browsers, and let the users choose which one to use, as they are the end users.

I feel rather pessimistic on this latter point. Today the PC manufacturers deliver new PC's without the motherboard drivers CD (my own experience on my last three PC's) which makes it difficult for re-installing Windows. This will simply make it a little bit more difficult for installing the browser without a delivered browser CD.Maybe the solution could come with the Internet routers, which are delivered with a browser bundled win the router configuration software CD. You don't really need a browser in order to obtain a software from a public ftp server, but you need a browser in order to configure your router.

Whenever I purchase new PCs, I always get custom-built computers from my local system builder rather than purchasing standard retail OEM computers. The motherboard drivers and other hardware driver CDs are always included, so I don't have a problem with finding drivers (though for reinstalls I like finding the newest drivers available as they work the best and have bugs fixed in them).On the topic, I wouldn't really care if Microsoft Internet Explorer was preinstalled or not. Although I may need it for testing in web designing and development, I would install Mozilla Firefox as soon as the operating system was installed. I think the reason why the European Union forced Microsoft to remove it was because with it preinstalled, people wanting a simply web browser would just stick to using Internet Explorer, with the other browser vendors like Mozilla highlighting how it is 'anti-competitive'.

Well, maybe there is a point to use Windows without IE, but some people might get lost, that there is no browser, those who were using IE will try to find it, those who didn't won't have problems, but how can I download Firefox, Opera, Safari without having a browser? Windows might just ask if you want to install IE? but if my computer is still not connected to the Internet? the setup needs to be somewhere on the DVD? And as it been said, to configure a router you need to be able to go to 192.168.0.1 or something like that.. To install drivers you need to go to the hardware page for downloading latest drivers. So it seems a bit stupid. :(

So it seems a bit stupid. :(

I think the stupid thing was made, long time ago, whey Microsoft said that Microsoft Internet Explorer is free, and Microsoft Windows is not free. There was all the problem coming, why dos Microsoft give something for free whereas the competitors ask for money, this is against the concurrency freedom rules.Probably, if Microsoft had said "The cost of Internet Explorer is 10% of the total cost of Microsoft Windows", and had a solution for smart people saying "I want my 10% off because I don't want IE6", then there would no more be such a problem.
However, now, Crosoft went to court because of that, so there must be a solution, no matter how stupid the solution could be.

I think the stupid thing was made, long time ago, whey Microsoft said that Microsoft Internet Explorer is free, and Microsoft Windows is not free.

This has always given me a laugh, that they say Explorer is free, yet, its an integral part of their OS architecture and without it the OS will not function and its installation is governed by the Windows Genuine Advantage software which will only allow upgrades on systems it deems valid and anyone who has been duped with OEM software before will understand exactly what im talking about, my valid windows license is only valid for the life of the hard drive it came installed on and after you perform 3 installs of the MS crap ridden bug ware, your up for $$ ching ching a new OS.

Microsoft always try to make most out of its products by bundling its softwares into its operating system, they never worry what the people need. They just use their O.S as a platform for advertising their products. Actually E.U. asked microsoft to add other browsers too. But Microsoft didn't agree for it and said we will be shipping O.S. without browser and it's users choice to use IE or Firefox or Opera. But I think this is the worst decision took by M.S. Without a browser how they could actually use another browser. That's why I always use Ubuntu. Free from all these issues, gives you freedom and don't waste your money for that software and this one.

Without a browser how they could actually use another browser. That's why I always use Ubuntu. Free from all these issues, gives you freedom and don't waste your money for that software and this one.

You do not need a browser to download anything from the web, there are other ways of getting things, FTP, TELNET, BITTORRENT come to mind for this, also, windows explorer does have basic browsing capabilities built into it for those who do not know the old school way of downloading software.

Also, MS is not dumb, they will have included a 1 click way to install IE in their browerless version of their OS. Which is more or less the same thing as having it preinstalled and integrated into the OS, this is what they do with messenger, hotmail and all the other bug ridden crap they peddle.

You do not need a browser to download anything from the web, there are other ways of getting things, FTP, TELNET, BITTORRENT come to mind for this, also, windows explorer does have basic browsing capabilities built into it for those who do not know the old school way of downloading software.

Windows Explorer uses the Internet Explorer shell to browse the Internet prior to IE7. I highly doubt that Microsoft will install a BitTorrent client on Windows 7 just to allow people to download browsers. I also doubt that they will distribute Internet Explorer via the P2P because it is unreliable.

And as for telnet, ok, upon installation:

A browser allows you to view Web sites on the Internet. With previous versions of Windows, Internet Explorer was included. Please choose the browser you wish to install:
Internet Explorer
- Click here to open Command Prompt
- Type in telnet microsoft.com
- Type in get ie/ie8/ie8-x64.exe

Firefox
- Type in get /software/firefox/firefox-3.5-setup.exe

Opera
- Type in get /software/opera/opera10.exe

Chrome
- Type in get /software/chrome/chromeSetup.exe

If that's how the software is supposed to be downloaded, through telnet, people will be way too confused to install any browsers.

I agree with quatrux. Not all user know about browsing with telnet etc, so lots of people will need ie for the first time. I did download FF and opera using ie then chose to use both of them rather then ie.

If that's how the software is supposed to be downloaded, through telnet, people will be way too confused to install any browsers.

I will agree, most people are dumb and do not know to use a computer and many of the older tools that are available to help you do all the things that a browser does for you. But just because most people are dumb does not mean they cannot learn how to operate a computer without a browser and download software.

Yes, they may give one click install, I think. Actually many people have backup of browsers. So, this cannot be a problem. Let us wait till they release this browser less Windows 7 and see how it works.

Not necessarily. We can imagine a lot of ways extracting a file from a remote system. A simple ftp script (hidden somewhere, of course) with
open mydistrib.of.explorer.comuser noobpassword newbieget iexplore.cabexit
could be enough. And no security problem, this mydistrib.of.explorer.com can be a killed-init blocked system able only to allow downloading of this cab file, not interesting for anybody not needing it.
And this kind of script can be transparently fired by the installation process, so no ignorance problem for standard users.