xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
hanorotu

Religion Under 10 Should religion...

Should religion be taught to children under the age of 10. And if so, how do you make sure that the children do not become "Zealously Brainwashed".

I think no religon should not be taught at that age, religon goes far beyond the "Social Aspect" of things. In fact religon is personal and spiritual, very few children understand that at that age. those that claim to have only been force fed what they are being taught.

"mommy and daddy said so, so it must be right."

I believe that children should be allowed to study whatever religon they chose, and not just what the family wishes them to know..."for acceptance reasons"

What do you think?

the problem with letting children choose which religeon to study is that at the age of 10 children don't know which religeon they want to study, the only problem with the system you propose is that children may end up only studying 1 religion and ignoring others. It would be better, in my opinion, to teach a variety of religions with an impartial view, the problem would be getting someone who could teach this completely impartially.

Are you talking about in the public school system? The private school system? At home? And ultimately who would be doing the teaching? I can see a mass of problems with all of these situations and IMO it should be left the the parents of the child to decide which religion they should be taught. A child of 10 is in no way capable of making any rational decision in regards to complex issues such as religion, so teaching them aspects of 3 or more religions is only going to lead to confusion in them, let alone trying to teach them aspects of 30 or more religions. Most liberal democracies have the separation of church and state for every good reasons, the state is in no such position to promote one particular religion over another and the school system being a part of the state is then not a vehicle to push religion. In a liberal democracy, it is the responsibility of the parents to decide which religion their children learn, its a system that has worked well for 100's of years and one that is more than capable of working into the future.

well...yes...we can learn children at the age of 11 and on,but where will church get its money from....there would be no so called "believers" and no one would give their money to the church to get their sins washed...Why do people think that if you give money to the church that that will help them?if you give money to the church...i think that 90% of it will NOT go to charity,but they will disperse the money within each other....