xisto Community
TavoxPeru

Defraggler

Defraggler is an excellent free system tool that can be used to defragment your computer hard disk(s) instead of using the Windows defragmentation tool.

One of the main features of Defraggler that makes it unique is that it allows to defragment quickly and simply a file or group of files you want to, without having to process the whole drive.

Defraggler is produced by Piriform, the same creators of CCleaner.

Main features:

• Defrag Individual Files: You can select individual files and folders to defrag, but, if you want to defrag the whole drive Defraggler will let you do that too.
  • Compact and Portable: Defraggler is a compact single EXE application, so it can be copied to a thumbdrive and then used whenever you need it. The EXE itself is less than 1MB!
  • Vista Support: Defraggler supports Windows 2000, 2003, XP and Vista including the 64-bit version, and supports both NTFS and FAT32 file systems.
  • Locate Files on the Drive: After analysis Defraggler lists all the fragmented files on the drive. If you want to visually see the location of any file on the disk you can simply select them from the list, and Defraggler will highlight their location on the disk.
  • Freeware.
  • Simple and clean interface.

In addition, Defraggler is faster than the Windows defragmentation tool, for example, I have a 7.2Gb hard drive, which was before running Defraggler defragmented by 31% and after running the disk defragmentation dropped to only 5%.

Best regards,

I have to agree Defraggler is a great program and really does a better job then Windows defrag. Of course, I find that I need to run on this program because it goes through a few thousand files that reach in the gigs when its time to defrag :o,

I ever tested Defraggler 1.10.143 for myself for this free tool. And here is my comments.Good: Very fast and there is no competition as speed is concerned and better than Windows defrag.Bad: The fastest way to defrag is to click "Analyze" and defrag fragmented files that are listed then. There is a DOS version of Defraggler with optional command lines but that is not available there for scripting this way.Summary: Hopefully there will be some additional options for analyze and defrag listed files in form of command line or options dialog box which will allow to defrag at startup and shutdown to maintain a disk defragmented at lightning speed.

I am currently testing it, and I love it. It shows what it is doing, it shows a map of the fragmented files, currently reading and currently writing. And it has a progress bar (currently 5%), whereas the vista tool simply say "this operation may last from some minutes to several hours). And vista analysis says "defragment is useless", whereas defraggler ays "14% fragmented", which lets you decide.Tomorrow I will test the portability mode, the installer installed everything under c:\program files\defraggler

Instead of running these programs, I prefer my hard-drive to be partitioned in a plan way. I have given about 30 GB space to Windows Partition and have created a Seperate partition for swap (about 10 GB). This way there is a very limited scope of my drive getting defragmented.Therefore, I recommend properly partitioning drive.

A separate disk for swap ? Of course, yes ! Why didn't I do this long time ago ? Effectively, it's a smart way for separating different ways your OS is acting.Thanks for the suggestion.

I didn't get that. Are you talking about the pagefile which usually resides in operating system drive? If so how can we move that to another drive? If it really helps prevent the degradation of hardrive, then I will do it too. i only know of swap in ubuntu where we need to specify the size of swap during installation.

I didn't get that. Are you talking about the pagefile which usually resides in operating system drive? If so how can we move that to another drive? If it really helps prevent the degradation of hardrive, then I will do it too. i only know of swap in ubuntu where we need to specify the size of swap during installation.

It's exactly like the swap in Ubuntu.Simply, Linux asks you to put it on a separate partition, whereas Windows allows you to put it on the same partition as the operating system.
And, of course, as the operating system is continuously writing on this file, making it growing and shrinking, this will have impact on the disk organization, especially when a file will try to extend and will find no free contiguous space.
And, yes, you can move it to another drive, so head movements for paging space can be really simultaneous with binary files access on the system disk. Of course, the default settings are "let Windows decide".
Here is how to do it as you decide by yourself.
Right-click to "my computer" in the windows dekstop, properties, advanced, and clidk on "Settings" in the performance part, then again "Advanced", and in "Virtual memory" click "Change" and you can choose on which disk you want the paging file and it's size.
On my current system the current size is 3.6 gigs, the Recommende size is 5 gigs, this tells you roughly how big the paging space partition should be. One thumb rule is that the paging space is 2.5 times the real memory. Another rule is that it's bigger than the biggest imaginable memory usage your system could experience. This tells you the size of the swap partition you should create on a separate disk.

That was simple, thanks. I was thinking, I would need to create a separate dedicated partition for that like ubuntu. I have been to that dialog box many times but never cared about the pagefile. So, before the whole page file was on C drive with around 2-4 GB. Now I have disabled that on C drive and set a system managed size in another drive. It seems fine isn't it? I have 2 GB ram, so 2.5 times is 5 GB. Should I set it to 5 GB or leave it to system managed size?

That was simple, thanks. I was thinking, I would need to create a separate dedicated partition for that like ubuntu. I have been to that dialog box many times but never cared about the pagefile. So, before the whole page file was on C drive with around 2-4 GB. Now I have disabled that on C drive and set a system managed size in another drive. It seems fine isn't it? I have 2 GB ram, so 2.5 times is 5 GB. Should I set it to 5 GB or leave it to system managed size?

About 5 GB is a logic value, I would use that.

I also use Defraggler and as I remember I found out about it on these forums, but just in a different topic, it's really a great tool and is much better than Windows default tool to defragment partitions. I usually defragment once in two months, or if after analyze my partition is at least 18% fragmented.About creating partitions.. Yeas, I agree I've done it lots of times and using lots of partitions, one partition is just for Windows C: and I usually don't put anything there anymore, because it usually needs a defrag much more than other partitions, I use another partition for Programs/Software like the same Defraggler.. Another partition for my Media, like Pictures, Music, Videos which is the largest and it usually does not have anything what could fragmentate it to fast. Also like most of you I have Swap partition, but it's only 8 GB, I use Temp folders, put lots of Temp, Config directories there, some downloads and files which usually gets deleted, written and so on.. I usually download files there from Skype, if somebody sends a photo or some document and later delete it or move to a place it belongs.. Also I have another Partition for torrents and DC++ downloads where usually I clean up, do lots of deletes and so on..At my house, I and my brother have A Homeserver, to which our computers are connected and it has a HDD of 500 GB, which is quite full of Music, Documents, Videos, Backups which we share, you can watch videos straight form it, listen to music and so on, so it's really comfortable, and it is quite quiet, and in a small room there no one can see or hear it :(

Instead of running these programs, I prefer my hard-drive to be partitioned in a plan way. I have given about 30 GB space to Windows Partition and have created a Seperate partition for swap (about 10 GB). This way there is a very limited scope of my drive getting defragmented.
Therefore, I recommend properly partitioning drive.

I recommend this technique too, but always is better to use this kind of software because it improves the system performance.

In the past i had a computer with a similar disk partitioned in the same way than yours, but in my case i notice that the system performance degrades after 3 months more or less, this computer works better every time i use the system defragmentation tool in a three months interval.

Best regards,