xisto Community
takerraj

Fedora 11 Is Out!

The most awaited Fedora 11, code named Leonidas is out. It was released on 9th. Fedora is most used linux distribution after Ubuntu. You can get Fedora 11 from here :

https://getfedora.org

It comes with many new features and packages. It includes much improved Ext4, KDE 4.2 and much more.

I once installed Fedora 10 on a virtual box, it was something like blue theme, I couldn't understand much as I could in Ubuntu. Fedora 11, Also yesterday, that is 10th, the new version of Linux kernel 2.6.30 was released after many RC's. So does this mean they will be incorporating the latest kernel in Fedora 11 through updates soon, or will they update it in the next version?

takerraj, did you install fedora too, after you installed opensuse?i used redhat and fedora once, i was a little bit confused, and then i uninstalled them.i prefer to use ubuntu (and kubuntu), mandriva, or opensuse, becasue i'm still a noob :o

Fedora 11 is released 9th and the new kernel is released 10th (as spencer said), I think the new kernel will be provided as an update. I am still on Opensuse, downloading Fedora 11. Redhat has very good demand in market. That's why I am trying to learn Fedora. For personal use, there is no other distro as easy as Ubuntu.

Edited by takerraj (see edit history)

Could you explain more briefly, what are the advantages of using fedora (in personal or proffesional use)? I still can't figure what good things you could get from using fedora. Is the system resource usage lower than other distro? I still can't understand that.By the way, if you finished installing fedora, let me know it's disk space requirement. i'm going to install my 2nd linux on my notebook, but i still can't decided what would be the next one ;p Maybe I'll install fedora, who knows.

Thanks for the info. And it seems to be a liveCD, so you can test it without installing it.

Could you explain more briefly, what are the advantages of using fedora

As far as I remember, Fedora is the free version and the commercial version is RedHat.This means that, when you will have to use RedHat at work, it will be easier if you already know Fedora.
I am familiar with Mandriva in my house, so, when at work I have to use RedHat, it sounds familiar, but it's rather different.
So, take Fedora as an investment for future.
As it's a LiveCD, your personal training will cost only a CD.
And if you work with virtual machines, it costs no CD, only some disk space on your servers.

Redhat is most widely used commercial linux around the globe. Using Fedora will certainly help you in mastering Redhat because both are almost the same. If anyone want to become linux administrators then mastering Fedora will help such people. Recommended system requirements for fedora 11 :RAM : 256 MB for 32-bit and 512 MB for 64-bit PC's.The official release notes says that Fedora uses just over 9 GB (if you install each and every package available on DVD).Not interested in becoming linux admin? then Ubuntu is the one to go with.

Edited by takerraj (see edit history)

full installation : 9GB? Does this mean all the packages includes Gnome, Kde, or maybe xfce and all applications inside it will be included?Then I'll pass.. I don't have such space in my drive >_<..I'll stick with my kubuntu.. maybe I'll install mandriva later :o

I guess that it's "full including everything possible". I guess that, in real world, the contents of the 690 Megs CD will not expend far more than 2 gigs ? Or is there a way of supercompressing by a factor about 20?

It's not a cd yordan, but dvd :o so it's absolutely possible.. Previous RH (version 8 i guess) needs 8 or 9 cd for full installation which means more than 5.5GB of installation disk..

FYI, mandriva full installation (from dvd) will takes about 16GB of your dsik.. That equals to 1/3 of my laptop's disk >_<

I guess that it's "full including everything possible". I guess that, in real world, the contents of the 690 Megs CD will not expend far more than 2 gigs ? Or is there a way of supercompressing by a factor about 20?

Instead of getting the DVD, we can get the CD distro and then install the required packages as we wish. Isn't it possible? Is there anything essential missing in the distro which is there in DVD and which cant be installed if we don't install DVD? I got the the 690 MB download and will be trying it out soon on another PC. It will be helpful for me to learn by having two linuxes installed (Ubuntu and Fedora) on separate PC's.

Edited by Spencer (see edit history)

It's not a cd yordan, but dvd :o so it's absolutely possible.. Previous RH (version 8 i guess) needs 8 or 9 cd for full installation which means more than 5.5GB of installation disk..
FYI, mandriva full installation (from dvd) will takes about 16GB of your dsik.. That equals to 1/3 of my laptop's disk >_<

Sorry, but the starter topic was talking about a very precise distro which is

The most awaited Fedora 11, code named Leonidas is out. It was released on 9th. Fedora is most used linux distribution after Ubuntu. You can get Fedora 11 from here :https://getfedora.org

It comes with many new features and packages. It includes much improved Ext4, KDE 4.2 and much more.

If you go to the mentionned URL, you download something which is a 670 megs iso, which is typically a CD, and not a DVD. That's why I am guessing that it will need no more than 2gigs, and not 9g or 16g.
Same principle with the Mandiva One LiveCD, it's one CD and it claims needing 2g during install.

The cd consist of packages that is essential and commonly used by pc user. Means that installing the cd should be enough to you. The dvd consist the rest of the packages. But some of the packages maybe not included inside the CD due to software restriction or copyright problem, like (maybe) ability to play mp3 and encrypted movie dvd.

Is there anything essential missing in the distro which is there in DVD and which cant be installed if we don't install DVD?

I want to know more about the fedora and what are the new features that it will providing to us...and in terms of security how beneficial it is...thankx in advance....