xisto Community
BCD

Upcoming Smartphones Pick your choice.

There are some exciting new entrants lined up to enter the smart phones world. Each bragging there features unheard of before. So here I present all those top smart phones due to be released this year. Pick your choice. It doesn't matter if you don't want to, just think you had money and had to buy any one from these, then which one would you go for? To help ease that a bit, I have described all the features for you. So start picking the choice. I will try to keep the reviews as unbiased as possible.

Posted Image

1) Nokia N97:

Nokia is the supreme player in the multimedia category. Nokia 95 has been the flagship product of the brand for ages now (yes, ages we are living web world) and still remains difficult to beat. This is feature packed beast. With the type of hardware thrown in, its absolutely mind boggling. The first thing you would see as is common in these days is the mammoth 3.5 inches (360 x 640 pixels), the resistive touchscreen has a proximity sensor, accelerometer, hand writing recognition.Want to watch movies just pull in those 3.5 mm headphones and you're on your way to thumping experience. You can slide the screen up to uncover the full blown QWERTY keypad beneath it. It is a miniature version of latptop. Large spacious keys and a vwide screen to poerate the symbian S60 5th edition OS: the built in POcket office suite now makes sense!

The main highlight of the phone lies beneath. The N97 rocks a 5 Mega pixel camera with Carl Zeiss optics, that bring you autofocus, LED Flash and a video light for night-time footage. The 2592 x 1944 pixel images are great, but the 30 FPS dvd quality smooth recording simply rocks. And yes there is a seondary camera in the front too for video calling. Under the hood, is the ARM 11 434 MHz processor and 128 MB RAM which makes the phone run like a breeze. But still there is the thing which you need to brace up for, the 32 GB built-in memory + additional 16 GB microSD card to brag a total of 48 GB on a smartphone! Carry all you music collection and still have space to use.

Added to this are the usual things like 3D, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth with A2DP, stereo FM radio, GPS (with Nokia Maps 2.0), voice command, TV-out, and support for any audio video format you throw at it. And it comes preinstalled with Adobe Flash Lite 3 plug-in, yep you assumed it right, online videos.

Feeding all these beasts is the N97's 1500 mAh humble battery. Which can play music for 40 hours, andtalk time of nine and a half hours. Retail price around US $ 700.

Posted Image

2) Sony Ericsson IDOU:

Wanna go for camera shopping? No IDOU's not the new changed model name of a camera, its the smartphone featuring 12.1 Megapixel camera! Helping it is a powerful xenon flash and LED flashlight for night time video shoots. With auto focus, geo-tagging, face detection, smile shutter, image stabilization... optical zooms out of the list though. But wait we are talking about a phone, so lets compare them with phones rather than cameras. And the as usual 3.5 inch defacto screen with 360 x 640 pixels. Whats the OS based on? Symbian. And then host off usual technologies like Wi-Fi, Bluetooth with A2DP, stereo FM with RDS, GPS and A-GPS, secondary VGA camera for video calls etc.

Posted Image

3) Palm Pre:

The perfect one to spend the money on an 'iphone killer'. Palm pre features the amazing web OS. With a curved, pebble like look, the screens a nice 3.1 inch touchscreen rendering 16 million colours at 320 x 480 pixels, and auto rotates witht he help of the built-in accelerometer. Palm pre uses the shortcoming of iphone, lack of physical keyboard. And hence it slides down to reveal impressive QWERTY keypad.

On the rear side is the 3.15 megapixel camera with enhanced fixed focus and LED flash. For multimedia enthusiasts, the Palm offers a 3.6 mm audio jack along with 8GB of internal memory; the lack of expanding the same via microSD thoug remains concern. And the again with the usual stuffs like 3G with GPS, bluetooth, wifi, microUSB, etc. Witht the omission of a radio. But given the amazing webOS interface and solid hardware, this one seems ready to take on iphone.

So now, pick your choice.

i would have to pick number 2

The phone, or the lady on the phone ?Sorry, more seriously, I love the number 1. The real keyboard, probably with real keyclick feel and noise, would be really nice for SMS and mails. And a real camera... wow! My own phone currently gives me so poor images that I never use it's embedded camera.

pfff, tough choice... I currently have an iPaq 614c with windows mobile and even tough the OS sucks, it also rules. There are a lot of free application available and it's absolutely not as commercial as the iPhone where you have to pay for the even the most stupid applications. The Palm Pre OS looks nice, but there are probably hardly any applications available for it so I'll pass that one. Both the Nokia and the SE look appealing, but I'm not a fan of the 'closed' ,prop OS (windows is hackable because you can access the system files, that's what I like about windows mobile ^^ ) . It'll probably be one of those two (if I had no other options and a lot of money :o )

I'm still torn between the Nokia N97 and Sony Ericsson IDOU. I'd really like the keyboard of Nokia N97, and the big screen of Sony Ericsson IDOU. Nokia is one of my favorite brands, currently I am using one model of this brand. So I think I would pick Nokia N97 finally. Because I am more familiar with Nokia than Sony Ericsson. Of course, I have to afford it in the first place. :o

I don't think that having used the brand before is going to help, the used interface differs a lot from the regular mobile phones so whatever phone you get ... it'll be a complete new experience :o

wutske thanks for your comments. In some extent I consent to your saying like this. Yes it'll be a complete new experience to change to a new model though the same brand. I think I am open to new technology and accept new thing all the time, I might choose other bands when the day is right for me to change. :o

I would get the new Sprint Palm Pre, why because it is cheap the plans for it are good and i really like the multitasking on this phone. But i really prefer the iPhone over any other phone.

I would also prefer the iPhone 3GS over any of the smartphones available on the market. Simply, it is really feature-rich plus you can purchase new applications easily through the App store. The recent update gave it better graphics performance and added a compass on top of the GPS and accelerometers already in the hardware setup.I suppose a big negative of these smartphones is the price, though you get more functions and usage out of smartphones.If I had to pick out of the three listed, I would choose the Sony Ericsson IDOU. The Palm Pre's curved and round shape doesn't quite suit my tastes, neither does the slide out keyboard on the Nokia N97.

I am brand-agnostic. My objective is to find a reliable (and hopefully cheap! :( ) platform that supports either Android or some similar programmable operating system. Phones do lots of "interesting" things, but I would like to add some boring stuff.For example, most of them have at least a few megabytes of storage. What can we do with that? Play music? Not for me! I would like to be able to record my calls, so when someone tells me their phone number, or a great website they have just found, I don't have to take my hands off the steering wheel :D and write down the information!That should be a simple thing to program, but I don't know of any phone, or add-on, that has it.I'm sure you can think of lots of similar, simple things you would like to add to a phone! Why not?

For example, most of them have at least a few megabytes of storage.

Note sure. The devices the current topic is talking about, have some gigs of storage, even 16gigs storage. Starts being interesting, isn't it?

Yeah, the Nokia N97 has 32 Gb inbuilt + 16 GB expandable memory. Programming the cellphones to ones likes is something most of us would want to do. Call recording applications does exist, but I havent seen them on popular brands.