xisto Community
akashi

Dvd Playback On Jaunty DVD playback error on Ubuntu jaunty

I've already search in this forum and the other forum, but i still haven't got the answer. After I upgraded my ubuntu (Intrepid to Jaunty) i can't watch dvd anymore. When I inserted DVD, it got mounted and i can see it at my desktop. But when i try to open / play it, totem says that i don't have the right permission to open it... what it's differences with intrepid? i didn't have this problem when i used intrepid.Btw, things i've tried :1. sudo totem -> didn't work... seems we can't run totem from terminal.. it doesn't have dbus access.. don't know what it means.2. reinstall totem, vlc, gstreamer, and other plugins -> same errordoes anyone have the solution?

did you have a look at this : http://www.ubuntu-news.net/2006/12/15/how-layback-ubuntu/
It's said that :

DVD playback is not a feature that is installed by default due to license restrictions. This tutorial will show you how to install DVD playback capability on your Ubuntu linux machine.Read it here

But also remember this, mentioned in the same article :

note: in some areas this is not legal. If that is the case for you you can 1) continue to let some corporation demand payment to be able to playback the DVDs you already paid for, 2) stop watching DVDs altogether or 3) tell them to take a hike and install playback anyway. Viva la revolucion!

yep, but the link is dead..btw, i do understand that DVD playback is restricted. When i used intrepid, i did need to install gstreamer which is part of medibuntu package, which i'm sure you've already know about this.the problem is, when i upgraded it to Jaunty using ubuntu update system, suddenly i couldn't play DVD. Does ubuntu upgrade (to Jaunty) remove the ability to playback dvd, or there are packages i need to install so that i can play dvd in jaunty?

The problem is solved :o After spent an hour browsing, googling, and checking synaptic, (maybe) i found the answer. When i search anything about dvd in synaptic, i found a package called libdvdcss2. This packages is essential to play encrypted DVD. And I just thought that this could solve my problem. I install that package and voila, i can play dvd again. I still don't understand why i could play dvd when i was using iintrepid.BTW, for anyone who have problem with Jaunty dvd playback, could you try this and then tell me whether this solve your problem or not.Cheers :o

libdvdcss2 fixed it for meDvd Playback On Jaunty

Yep, it was libdvdcss2 for me as well (using Jaunty). I followed the instructions at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu, namely the sections entitled "Adding the Repositories" and "Playing Encrypted DVDs". I also had to restart my computer for some reason! :P

Perhaps when you upgrade they remove your ability to play DVDs, just in case?

how to enable playback in UbuntuDvd Playback On Jaunty

There are several ways to enjoy dvd playback in Ubuntu without using the terminal. The easiest is to go to the Ubuntu store and purchase the software legally.Another way is to go to the XBMC homepage and follow the instructions to install in Ubuntu.  It took me less then 10 min to google xbmc, follow instructions and start watching my dvd.  Oh, one more that I just thought of. Super OS is Ubuntu with all the goodies allready on the iso. Just download Super Os and install! 

-reply by Todd

No libdvdcss2 in synapticDvd Playback On Jaunty

I am having the same problem.  I got my computer in the US, brought it to Japan, but I cannot play any dvds.  (I can play US dvds in windows.)  Problem is, there seems to be no libdvdcss2 in my synaptic manager.  Anyone have any idea why?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Jack

-reply by Jack