xisto Community
site1

Dsl - An Amazing,tiny, Full Featured (embedded/standalone)os

Talking of embedded OS, my mind runs to DSL, I have carried this tiny, amazing Os in my USB pen drive for about 3yrs now and get almost the same functionality/satisfaction i'll get if i had taken my home PC along. I can personally say it is the smallest complete embedded/standalone OS i've ever come across.

google their website to download and testdrive and see what i mean,

Damn Small Linux is a very versatile 50MB mini desktop oriented Linux distribution.
Damn Small is small enough and smart enough to do the following things:Boot from a business card CD as a live linux distribution (LiveCD)
* Boot from a USB pen drive
* Boot from within a host operating system (that's right, it can run *inside* Windows)
* Run very nicely from an IDE Compact Flash drive via a method we call "frugal install"
* Transform into a Debian OS with a traditional hard drive install
* Run light enough to power a 486DX with 16MB of Ram
* Run fully in RAM with as little as 128MB (you will be amazed at how fast your computer can be!)
* Modularly grow -- DSL is highly extendable without the need to customize

DSL was originally developed as an experiment to see how many usable desktop applications can fit inside a 50MB live CD. It was at first just a personal tool/toy. But over time Damn Small Linux grew into a community project with hundreds of development hours put into refinements including a fully automated remote and local application installation system and a very versatile backup and restore system which may be used with any writable media including a hard drive, a floppy drive, or a USB device.

DSL has a nearly complete desktop, and a tiny core of command line tools. All applications are chosen with the best balance of functionality, size and speed. Damn Small also has the ability to act as an SSH/FTP/HTTPD server right off of a live CD. In our quest to save space and have a fully functional desktop we've made many GUI administration tools which are fast yet still easy to use. What does DSL have?

XMMS (MP3, CD Music, and MPEG), FTP client, Dillo web browser, Netrik web browser, FireFox, spreadsheet, Sylpheed email, spellcheck (US English), a word-processor (Ted), three editors (Beaver, Vim, and Nano [Pico clone]), graphics editing and viewing (Xpaint, and xzgv), Xpdf (PDF Viewer), emelFM (file manager), Naim (AIM, ICQ, IRC), VNCviwer, Rdesktop, SSH/SCP server and client, DHCP client, PPP, PPPoE (ADSL), a web server, calculator, generic and GhostScript printer support, NFS, Fluxbox and JWM window managers, games, system monitoring apps, a host of command line tools, USB support, and pcmcia support, some wireless support.

Edited by yordan
Quoted the text copied from http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/ (see edit history)

Hi, site1, please have a look at our forum rules.
Posting copied text is not strictly forbidden, but we hate plagiarism.
If you really want to post a text copied from somewhere else, honesty asks that you put the copied text between "quote" tags, and politeness asks that you mention where you copied your text from.
I guess that you copied your text from http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
I did the quoting job for you today. Next time I expect you do do the quoting job by yourself. Else, we could think that you try cheating with our hosting credit system, which makes some mods around here rather mad. :o

Well, I'm kind of wondering... is DamnSmallLinux really an embedded operating system as the title of this thread suggests? I mean, sure, it's pretty compact and probably efficient, but has it ever been used in any embedded computer system, such as teller machines or a jukebox or one of those magic LG refrigerators? :-D

Well, I'm kind of wondering... is DamnSmallLinux really an embedded operating system as the title of this thread suggests? I mean, sure, it's pretty compact and probably efficient, but has it ever been used in any embedded computer system, such as teller machines or a jukebox or one of those magic LG refrigerators? :-D

I guess it's simply a beginner's language error. It's imbedded in a small part of your USB flashdisk... that's all!This was very interesting when the USB flashdisks were very small. Today you find rather huge USB flashdisks, and I must confess I prefer Mandriva on my flashdisk.