xisto Community
yusri

Creating Your Own Icon

It is easy to create your own icon, just pick a bitmap (.bmp) file and change its extension to .ico.To do so, open the Windows Explorer, click on the View menu (or Tools in WinMe), click Folder Options, click View tab, remove the check on the "Hide file extensions for known files types" option, and then click OK.Select a bitmap file, press F2 key, and then change its extension to .ico.Have fun learning:)

Dude! That's so awesome! I never knew you could do that. :)This is gonna save me from installing unnecessary programs because I just formatted my computer.Good job! :DEdit: I corrected a typo, "unnessary" :D:

Edited by snlildude87 (see edit history)

Well i know that tip but i also figured out there is software called Folderstyle that can let you cahnge your folder icon.and best of all its free.anyway like the tip.Do you know any place where we can download cool icons?

WTF????Dude... You just changed the FILE EXTENSION from BMP to ICO!!! That doesn't mean that you have converted a BMP file to an icon! It's still a BMP image file! You can try and open it in any icon editing program and it will display a message "Unknown Icon Format".Bitmaps and icons are very different! Icons have to contain information about the number of colors in the icon, alpha blending information (in case of Windows XP icons) and the size of the icon.If you want to convert image files to icons, you have to have the right software for that!If you follow this tutorial, your newly created "icons" will be unusable! Creating your own icon can be (and usually is) very difficult, because you have to define the transparent, inverted and semi-transparent areas of the icon...

If you follow this tutorial, your newly created "icons" will be unusable! Creating your own icon can be (and usually is) very difficult, because you have to define the transparent, inverted and semi-transparent areas of the icon...

67891[/snapback]

Well, that depends on your definition of "usable." You can open the icon file with Paint and still edit it (I tried). You can view the uploaded icon file in your browser by adding the code

<link rel="SHORTCUT ICON" href="favicon.ico">
between the <head> tags in your HTML files (I tried this, too). :)

That's kind of weird... You can trick browsers with this :D !

BTW: Paint? :)

When you open a (real) icon in paint, the transparent areas are colored black!

Anyway, the icon cannot be used in many icon editing programs such as "Icon Cool Editor" or Borlands Image Editor... It can't be even viewed in ACDSee! Therefore, it is NOT a valid icon file! See for yourself:

https://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/

Yeah, I also have try many experiment with the bitmap(doesn't work for me :) ). Seems you need a software especially beginners. But if you clever enough you can use it :D .

I use a nifty little program called "Artcursors" that works with .ico, .gif, .cur, .jpg, .png, and .rc files. If you're looking to create or convert icons, I recommend this program.

Well i use Adobe Photoshop!! :)
I've seen this tutorial - How to create a favoicon to web sites, quite a while and it's really cool!! :P
The only thing you need is to install a very small plugin, donationware, without any spyware (at least i didn't detected anything),and you will be able to save any file into the icon format. The plugin ? :D ya, right over here
Hope it helps out, at least some of you, the lucky ones like me, that use Adobe Photoshop :D

So if i get this right, with the plugin you can create and save your own .ico files in photoshop? awesome.as far as renaming the .bmp to .ico, ive tried it and it doesnt work, well for me anyway.I love playing with icons, and plugins, so this should be fun :)

easiest,free thing to use to make icons is a thing called favicon it's okay, but i reckon it's really good. but the colour and image quality DOES get lost when saving..REALLY easy to use, if you have a working brain

That will not always work. If you make a jpg and turn it into a .bmp and then change it directly into a .ico.. it will not show up.