xisto Community
FirefoxRocks

Windows Vista Mouse Issues

I am having this issue with Windows Vista these past few days. The mouse has been extremely slow and it is very annoying to all users of the computer.On the first day, it was only the user accounts that had slow mouse pointers. On the second day, all user accounts and the welcome screen have slow mouse pointers. I am unable to open the Mouse Properties dialog box in Control Panel or Windows Help. On the Hardware panel, the Mouse option is gone. In Classic View, the mouse icon is there without a label and it does not work. In Device Manager there is no properties that can change it.In Windows 7 Beta, it works fine and I can open the Mouse properties box and adjust the speed as necessary. It also works fine in Ubuntu 9.04 as I am using it right now.Can anyone tell me how to open the Mouse properties box or fix this issue? I would hate to have to do a Windows reinstallation to resolve this minor issue.

I have it directly in the control panel : I have a "mouse" ("souris" in my distro) and when I double-click on it I have "Proprietes de Souris" with 5 tabs: buttons, pointers, pointer options, etc.. And in the "pointer options" I have the pointer speed, from slow to fast, with "enhanced mouse procision" checked.

I have it directly in the control panel : I have a "mouse" ("souris" in my distro) and when I double-click on it I have "Proprietes de Souris" with 5 tabs: buttons, pointers, pointer options, etc.. And in the "pointer options" I have the pointer speed, from slow to fast, with "enhanced mouse procision" checked.

I usually have that but for some reason the associated .cpl file (whichever one it is) is either missing or corrupted. But I have reinstalled Vista at the moment, and wow that really messes up my partition table. :o

I have reinstalled Vista at the moment, and wow that really messes up my partition table. :o

Did you, as usual, when booted on the Vista CD, first choose "remove the partition" on the previous install partition, and then "create a partition" and install on the freshly created replacement partition ?

Did you, as usual, when booted on the Vista CD, first choose "remove the partition" on the previous install partition, and then "create a partition" and install on the freshly created replacement partition ?

No I deleted my Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Linux-swap partitions. Now I got Vista to boot and GRUB to load but Windows 7 says Bootmgr.exe is missing.

This may be completely unrelated because it does sound like a software problem but have you tried replacing the mouse with another? As odd as it sounds, I have seen faulty hardware effect software in this way. Perhaps the circuit board has gone bad in the mouse and has caused your OS to detect it wrong? This is a simple and quick diagnostic just to make sure. I always hate going through a very tedious and long troubleshoot session (such as Internet not working) only to find the Ethernet cable unplugged.

This may be completely unrelated because it does sound like a software problem but have you tried replacing the mouse with another? As odd as it sounds, I have seen faulty hardware effect software in this way. Perhaps the circuit board has gone bad in the mouse and has caused your OS to detect it wrong? This is a simple and quick diagnostic just to make sure. I always hate going through a very tedious and long troubleshoot session (such as Internet not working) only to find the Ethernet cable unplugged.

Yes we have tried switching mouses and mouse 1 worked fine on the other computer with Windows XP and mouse 2 on Vista is extremely slow but works fine in Windows 7.

I encountered this type of annoyance in my 64bit Vista. I checked the mouse settings in the control panel. Check your video card display resolution and frequency. Check the connection at the back panel. Sometimes you need a smooth dock for your mouse especially roller/ball mouse. The optical mouse is fine. Or maybe the mouse wheels are too dirty, clean it.

What brand and model is the mouse causing the problem? (By the way, this should be the first thing you should mention when asking for help with hardware issues)With Microsoft-branded mouse utilising the Intellipoint driver software, a specific mode called Precision Mode can be toggled, which slows the mouse considerably to increase 'precision' e.g. when drawing.Also, slow speed while using a wireless mouse may indicate a low battery level for the mouse..