xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
hfbvm

Online Education

The great thing in online education is that it really saves your time.You can schedule your day so, that you have enough time for studying, working and for some personal relations and activities.Bad thing is that you do not communicate with other students. I don't mean making friends with them - friendship is great, butyou come to college not for that, i guess. I mean that communicating with other people that study the same things that you do can be very useful for the process. The only thing I know a bout online education is that it's easy to slip up. I have taken an online education course at my school. I don't have experience with online universities and things like taht but I did take a class online. It was strictly on the web and no meeting in classrooms was necessary. The teacher would talk to us through a website and a course blog. He would post reading assignments and discussion topics and let us respond and have us make at least 2 comments a week on that blog. I enjoyed it because I didn't have to wake up for a class. It stunk because I would forget to log on sometimes.We also had to keep a blog of our own.....post definitions and term ideas on a Wikipedia type page. It was fun overall but I learned how easy it is to skip out of doing work. Luckily I made up a bunch of the work and didn't have to worry about a bad grade.

That's interesting. I know this is a rather old post which has been bumped by spam, but I'd like to comment on it anyway. The online education system is a great tool I think, but not just the aspect you are talking about where you have a teacher who instructs you, gives you work assignments and so on. Much of my education in the IT sector was self-taught using the internet. Everytime I would come across an article that I found interesting I would study that subject further and expand my knowledge whilst using forums to interact with other people experienced in the same topic and ask questions and get answers and so on. There is a much broader definition of online education and interacting with other forum members is a way of getting that vital interaction you seem to think is so important (and probably is) in an education. Ok so you may not be arranging to meet up with these people to get wasted on campus or using your studies as an excuse to talk to hot women, that's the kind of thing that goes on in college and university, for me that aside there isn't much difference between an educational institute and being online. I suppose the big factor is how trustworthy the content is online and the people who are helping you, but with enough cross-referencing of different materials from different sources you are bound to compile the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding the topic in question. I gave college a try three times and failed three times. There were far too many distrations for me and this ultimately led to my failing. Ok so the first time I was booted was for a minor indescretion with school network (damn proxy filters), the second time I was turning up to classes drunk and the third time was because of the birth of my son and me having to care full care of him. After that I decided to teach myself and it ultimately proved to be the best method.