xisto Community
messiah1

How Do I Perform A Disk Clean Up With Windos Xp On My Pc im not familar with this process

Open windows explorer, see your drives (C:, D: etc...)Right-click on the c: drive, choose "tools" or something like that, and you will see a menu where you choose to verify your disk, and then another menu where you defrag your disk.These two actions are probably what your friends states when he tells you to clean-up your disk.

I do believe is referring to the Disk Clean Up in accessories, which is in the following location: All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Clean Up. Another recommendation I have is installing CCleaner as that will do a more effective cleaning of your computer then Disk Clean Up since DCU only cleans out the recycle bin and some temporary folders, while CCLeaner cleans out all hte browser caches, temporary folders, recycle bin, memory, shortcuts and more.

Yes, you can follow the above two mechanisms. The best thing will be the second one. It gives you more control over what you are doing. Also there are several paid products which do this for you like Tune-up utilities, System Mechanic.

I find that two nice ways of saving disk space is to reduce the size of the recycle bin and reduce the size of the Internet Explorer cache.Recycle Bin1. Right click the recycle bin icon on the Windows desktop and click properties.2. Go to the Global tab.3. Under the Maximum size of Recycle Bin slider, move it to a more reasonable 1-2%. This is based on percentage so a 1 Tb drive set to 10% allows 100 Gb to be saved in the recycle bin. 1% of a 1 Tb drive is still 1 Gb which should be more than enough.Internet Explorer Cache1. Right click the Internet Explorer icon on the Windows desktop and click properties.2. For Internet Explorer 7 (that’s what I have in front of me at the moment but Internet Explorer 8 is similar) click the General tab.3. Click the Settings button under Browsing history.4. Lower the Disk space to use to around 50-100 Mb. Your mileage may vary with this setting as broadband connections see almost no performance hit while dial-up may experience noticeable difference.I in general do not recommend using the compress old files option under the Windows Disk Cleanup tool. Using this is like zipping some of your old files and then unzipping them on the fly. This is very processor intensive and systems suffering from low disk space are usually also suffering from low processor power. In the end it is much more hassle than it is worth.

Recycle Bin1. Right click the recycle bin icon on the Windows desktop and click properties.
2. Go to the Global tab.
3. Under the Maximum size of Recycle Bin slider, move it to a more reasonable 1-2%. This is based on percentage so a 1 Tb drive set to 10% allows 100 Gb to be saved in the recycle bin. 1% of a 1 Tb drive is still 1 Gb which should be more than enough.

The explanations above should be enough. Just want to correct statement quoted above. 1% of 1TB should be 10GB :(