xisto Community
Mzeppelin

Internet Talk Grrr

Gotta hate the people that invented those... makes it so hard to read... They are used immensely in games forums. So far I haven't seen any of those in this forum (maybe it's not allowed) And my overall impression for people that type like that: They are immature kids that are trying too hard to be cool...

I used that type of language (should I even call it that?) when I was I think 15 years old. Soon enough I realised what I was doing was total crap. Now there's definitley no stopping to this stupidity and what this is doing is ruining the grammer and writing skills of children. I've somehow managed to get my younger cousin out of this and I'm pretty happy with his grammer results.

One of my former English teachers lamented how the quality of kids' writing has been steadily declining since AIM/chatting/the 'net in general. In essays and assignments he'd find that kids would use "u" for "you" and "4" for "for" etc. He once instructed a block to write an in-class essay; several kids asked him how to spell the word "essay." After he wrote it on the board, about half of the class started erasing furiously. After the papers were handed in, about a quarter of the kids wrote "S.A." on top. :)

ohhh.that's to bad to me,who earger to practise english by talk with people on internet usually.i really do not like that kind of word,not feeling good.hope to clean the language surroundings to us.

One of my former English teachers lamented how the quality of kids' writing has been steadily declining since AIM/chatting/the 'net in general.  In essays and assignments he'd find that kids would use "u" for "you" and "4" for "for" etc.  He once instructed a block to write an in-class essay; several kids asked him how to spell the word "essay."  After he wrote it on the board, about half of the class started erasing furiously.  After the papers were handed in, about a quarter of the kids wrote "S.A." on top. :)

67826[/snapback]

I really like your joke about S. A. Kids get more comfortable with S. A. this way, euh? I am, though, not as cynical about this as others. I worked in the medical field and the shorthand people use are just as cryptic as those used by internet users. Say, a standard history would have C/O, HPC, MH, FSH and alike, a blood picture will have HCT, MCV, WBC, MCH etc and we will write in the record R/V in 2/52, Rx, paracetamol, 500mg q.i.d ./I or ../II p. r. n. These are as unintelligible as internet language. They share the same grave defect: they are only not universal. A may use a set of abbreviations completely different from B, and this causes a lot of problems.

I don't mind lazy internet-speak so much when it is used in grammatically correct sentences. "R U a sk8er?" sounds so much better to my ears than "Chat room or IMS is just full of this nasty wordz". Syntax, anyone?And to the author of this thread: were you going for irony when you misspelled "retarded"?If the goal of this thread was to point out the idiocy of those who deprecate the English language, I must congratulate you on a job well done.

Gotta hate the people that invented those... makes it so hard to read... They are used immensely in games forums. So far I haven't seen any of those in this forum (maybe it's not allowed) And my overall impression for people that type like that: They are immature kids that are trying too hard to be cool...

Maybe here are more adult people :)

Internet talk gets monotonous very quickly. I'm tired of hearing a bunchof doorknobs blabbing out a bunch of random words in an inconsistent pattern. It's pretty hard to understand what a person is saying when they speak like 3 year olds. And I do think that people are losing theirgrammar/spelling skills the more time they spend on msn/aim/chat. But,I like to go against the grain. I hate using non-sensical words with numbers in them. It just isn't me. And often, it isn't anyone else's styleeither. My rant is done. :)

I am personally not a fan, of the netspeak, however to blame the internet for students declining ability to use proper english is non-sensical at best. It could be said that since this is what they spend most of thier time on a computer doing naturally it would become second nature to them, but then I ask why is it chatting that they are spending most of thier time doing? Why not homework? I believe the reason students are becoming steadily worse at grammer and spelling is because the quality of instruction they recieve (both at home and at school) has declined. I know my spelling and grammer leaves much to be desired, however I work at improving it as often as I can, and I spend alot of time writing, for pleasure and for work, so I think I have perhaps improved since school.Now don't get me wrong I am not blaming the teachers, or placing the entire blame on the education system, but rather portion of the blame goes to the parents, and a portion goes to the education system, and perhaps a very tiny portion goes to those one or two teachers that really don't give a damn any more. Teachers get paid so little when you consider what we have placed them in charge of, and parents these days have pretty much absolved themselves of any responsibility in instructing thier children how to read and write. The education of our children should not be left to the teachers alone, we are just as responsible for it as they are.To place the blame on internet chatting is pointless, it is rather like blaming the sinking of the titantic on the ocean instead of on the crew and the iceberg. Using a made up shorthand is natural for people chatting online, it is human nature to find the quickest means of getting a job done, and while communicating in Realtime the faster you can get on with the conversation. The rest is just plain fun. Made up shorthand like h8 I don't mind, and actually like to use once and a while, I personally can't stand stuff like m34n, because it actually takes me longer to type it, but it does kind of make you feel like you are using a kind of code, so naturally it would appeal to youth who have always tried to find ways to make it difficult for thier parents to understand what they are saying.

Indeed. I am totally with you on that one. I cannot stand either shortenings (u, ppl, kno), mispellings (teh winenrs wil recieve 5 pionts!) or "aZn" (Yo I'm sO KrZy N StUfF!).It irritates me to no end. I mean, you don't speak, or write like that, do you? What makes it so hard to do the same on the computer? Is it just because you're lazy?

That's true Johnny I do it all the time but ya I hate it too most of times I cant understand anyting at all that they are saying. I once took an hour trying to read an email that was all shortend out and it was a pain in the butt.

I'd have to say throwing around the terms "gay" and "retarded" for anything you don't like is more annoying and overused on the internet than crazy capitalization and mispeLlinG to be KewL.