xisto Community
wutske

Dell Desktop Died ?

My father bought a 2nd hand Dell pc that work without a problem, we installed windows, some software, copied data to it and the last thing I did was putting it in standby.The next day, my mother turns on the pc and the only thing that works is the cpu fan because it slowly speeds up to maximum (it's a blower, so it's incredibly loud).I've already tried several things, clearing the CMOS (by removing the battery because there's no jumper for this), removing all the memory, different memory configuration (there are 3 memory modules in total), unplugging disk ... But nothing happens, no screen, no POST, no beeps (even without the memory it doesn't beep).It got to the POST screen twice, with one and two memory modules installed, but I can't replicate this behaviour :o So, anyone has an idea what could cause this problem ?

@Yordan: Nothing on the screen = nothing on the screen, no POST messages, nothing. The screen doesn't even turn on.

About the beeper, it's an onboard one and it's still there :o

@hfbvm: since when do pc's refuse to boot when the battery is dead ? Afaik a pc with a dead battery always boots with default settings.

@aloKNsh: dude, we JUST bought this pc. My laptop still works, it works well so there's no reason for me to buy a freaking new pc and laptop ...

I too had this problem with my old Pentium 3. But the problem was much more severe. Firstly there was no proper earthing in the electric socket where the PC was connected. So, I would get electric shock if I touched any part of the metal CPU casing or monitor. I used that PC in that condition for two days and it just gave up. The I immediately got the earthing repaired. But still the PC didn't boot up. The same thing as yours no beeps, no BIOS. I tried reassembling and it worked but when I fit everything and cover the case the PC won't boot. Then I was told that there might be some loose connections in motherboard circuitry. So I carefully reassembled every part making sure every part was in its place and properly seated. During this I observed that the RAM sockets were a bit unresponding at times. May be thats where the problem is, which I don't know for sure till this day. Anyway it just works although I rarely use that, may be occassionally when I try some freakin stuff.

Coming to your problem: Are the RAM modules are of same speed? Did you try them inserting one by one, if any of them worked? There would be still more things which would make into troubleshooting checklist. May be somebody else may post them. Good luck.

Edit:
You can try this google search.

Edited by Staldon (see edit history)

Since I know Wutske is bright enough to have tried all the obvious things I will suggest a thing or two that has fixed PC's for me before that are far less obvious. Try removing everything from the unit anything attached to the motherboard, including the CPU, but the the power supply connector. Power on for a few seconds then off. Put it all together and power it up. This has worked for me in the past a couple times when everything else has failed. I have no idea why. If the Dell in question is one of the desktop ones and not a tower of any sort it may have the odd PCI car the turns into sideways PCI slots. I had a Dell I worked on once where that card went flaky and removing it fixed the system. Oddest suggestion: Once more if the unit is one ef Dell's flat-ish ones attempt to determine how the unit was oriented previously. (you stated it was second hand) Look at the feet on it to see if it was used side ways or flat. In that position see if it starts. I know that sounds stupid but have seen PC's that will operate in only a certain position. This is because they developed tiny faults in the board for one reason or another and short out when placed in the "wrong" position. I worked at one place installing new units where the in house tech dept. over stacked the Dells (about 20 high) while imaging them. The ones on the bottom suffered this condition. Not a possible off the wall fix but as a trouble shooting step just try powering it on many times successively. If one time in twenty to fifty it actually boots then the motherboard has likely gone to that great Taiwanese factory in the sky (or at least is walking towards the light). My brothers PC did this

Jeps, it's a flat desktop with the PCI riser card ...Too bad my dad already returned the pc so I can't test your odd suggestion (which I do believe could work :o )

Jeps, it's a flat desktop with the PCI riser card ...Too bad my dad already returned the pc so I can't test your odd suggestion (which I do believe could work :o )

I rather build my own machine than to buy a Dell ... esp. a Dell. I basically boycott fixing Dells anymore. They are time consuming and pretty a waste of my valuable time and life. I rather people spend a bit more cash and buy a quality machine than to buy 'em cheap and have them break down on you after like a year of use or something.

I'm sick and tired of fixing Dells. I just basically tell Dell users to just buy a new machine 'cuz even if I fix them, they just fall apart again a year later (unless I stick non-Dell parts into them).

Since issue is basically solved, thread closed.

xboxrulz