xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jeigh1405241495

Istalker

So I don't think this program is overly new, or new at all, but Loopt is a program for gps enabled devices with a new(ish) iteration availible for all those iPhone users out there. In short this prgoram allows people to create a list of friends that constantly share up to date GPS information with one another, allowing you to pull up a map of your area and see exactly where all of your friends are. At any time. How does this not creep people out?Personally I'm always a touch paranoid about big brother-ish things, but this seems rediculous to me. People are voluntarily giving a rediculous amount of information to one another. I know facebook and other social networking sites have flourished in the last few years but I find this need for information to be obtained and shared has simply gotten to such an extreme that its getting into dangerous territory.It's already obvious that sexual predators can use social networking sites to find victims. What will stop users of iLoopt from being targeted by such people, thus giving a pinpoint location to a potential predator? Even ignoring that extreme case, who the hell needs to know where there friends are at all times? Isn't that bordering on an obsessive need to know what others are doing in your absence?Then there is the issue of technological security. I don't know how secure the iPhone is but I assume its reasonably good at least. I'm sure the packets containing GPS info are encrypted nicely prior to trasnfer but what if they are somehow intercepted and cracked? Or what if someone has their iPhone stolen and has a gps lock on their friends at all times? Wouldn't be hard to use it to case out some homes to know when the residents aren't around, or when underage iPhone users are out and about.The whole idea just creeps me out if that's not obvious, but maybe some of you think I'm crazy because of it? I'd love to hear an opposing view from someone that sees the strong benefits from such a system. I can picture some benefits (parents monitoring children, locating a lost phone, etc) but still it seems to me to be pushing it beyond what the pros would warrant.