xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jeigh1405241495

Seasteading - Life On The High Seas

Earth has a finite amount of habitable land. This is a simple fact that leads to some interesting ideas. Lately I've stumbled upon the idea of "Seasteading" (http://www.seasteading.org/) which is the idea of actually building large scale floating cities. Sure it sounds like something out of a sci fi movie but apparently it's legitimately a possibility.I'd heavily reccomend checking out Seasteading's website or googling for more sites on the topic as it was endlessly interesting to me. I'm sure I wont hit on even a fraction of the engineering behind it if I try so I'll intentionally give a super brief overview.Basically they are taking the concepts behind oil rig technology and heavily modifying it to the point where they could create a large scale city. Further this wouldn't need to all be on one platform but could actually be a modular city that could be arranged and rearranged as they saw fit. To me this alone is all very interesting as any technology intrigues me. Some of the ideas for energy production and sea-sickness-avoidance are pretty interesting among other things. Again, obviously, this is all just research and theory at this point. There isn't cities floating about in the Atlantic... but the theories seem well researched and they do a good job at convincing someone it's a possibility.Now, just as interesting (to me at least) was some of the other ideas the people behind the projects had for after the city was created. These floating cities would be the perfect place to "try" isolated and different political structures, economic setups, etc. Basically, they could be huge scale social, political, economic, etc experiments to answer some questions that simply can't be properly researched elsewhere. There would be an extremely isolated smapling of people that could, for exmaple, institute communism and see how it goes (proper communism, not *BLEEP* broken communism most people think of when they hear the word).To me any social experiment is interesting so the idea of this is simply awesome. Of course the liklihood of finding a cities worth of people that would be willing to partake in such an experiment would be low, and the type of people willing to partake would inherently affect the studies results, plus the people are all from the currently employed systems thus tainting their overall views of the world... but still it's the best we could do haha.Really I just feel it's super interesting from lots of different standpoints so wanted to share it with you guys. Hope someone finds it interesting too.

Like you said "To me any social experiment is interesting so the idea of this is simply awesome.". Well you see, time is precious.and like the song says by Christina Aguilera: Nobody wants to be Lonely. Social thoughts and experiments are necessary, before I start going crazy.

Is there a reason you might be going crazy? I moreso just find anything to do with studying how our minds work and interact fascinating. There are some very interesting studies that have been done in social sciences that look at how people react and relate in varying situations due to factors that many times seem insignificant.One experiment that I would love to see on one of these types of platforms would be to just release all the social laws that people are controversial over for no reason (gay marriage for example) and just show those opposing them that society won't collapse if two guys choose to get married. There is too much energy in modern polictics wasted on fighting certain things that are simply shouldn't be something that the government concerns themselves with. Personally, I'm straight and really don't know many gay people but I still don't see why anyone would have a problem with them being married, so all the energy spent fighting it is a waste.This is obviously just one example of numerous that could be pursued in such a contained social environment.