xisto Community

Google is now testing a new VoIP service called Google Voice. It has a ton of features including voicemail, call screening, text messaging (for mobile phones only), call forwarding, selective phone ringing, call recording, group (conference) calling and a few more features.

The best part: It allows you to call all US phone numbers for free!! (I'm in Canada, so this isn't exactly really helpful).

The service is completely free and you cannot sign up for it at the moment. Google will allow users to sign up for it at a later date. You can add your phones here (home, mobile, work) and when someone calls, all your phones will ring unless you have specified otherwise.

You can also place calls with your Google phone number. It is like an advanced mobile phone/voice mail system.

More information: https://www.google.com%2Fvoice%2F&followup=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fvoice%2F&ltmpl=open

Google never stops to surprise me. It seems that is functional yet. I'm checking it and posting here for first impressions :mellow:.

It's not really a VoIP, rather a single number, multi phone service much like RingCentral. But it's free.Google purchased GrandCentral few years back and I have been using GrandCentral for a while now. I like the service especially when I have to give a phone number for someone to call--but I wouldn't want to be called by that person all the time--one phone number to follow me where I am at the most (work, cell, home).GrandCentral's limitation, I thought, was the inability to accept SMS. Google Voice revamped the GrandCentral to accept SMS and send reply. The phone number is real. It forwards a call to the designated number(s) you set up. It accepts SMS, voice mail and fax (yes I have another GrandCentral that forwards to a fax machine). Great thing about this service is that even if I change my cell or business phone number, I can simply update my GrandCentral (now Google Voice) to simply point to the new number. But the caller would never notice the difference.

I think the idea of having a single number to connect to multiple different lines is great, and would removed the need to keep multiple contact numbers in your address book just for one person. I suppose this would be a great asset for the travelling businessman, although it wouldn't be that nice to be tracked wherever you go.

Hmmmm.... Well that sounds pretty interesting. I really don't know anything about the Google Voice. All I know is from your postings. But I think it sounds like a good deal, and I will have to check it out after I am done posting. To me is sounds like Microsoft Sam, but that is just me. I will have to see what the excitement is about!I will repost afterwards with my critique.- skedad -

Never tried any other VoIP in a real situation only Skype, because here in my country it's so popular that everyone has it, so it's easy to talk and use video while talking, but for sometime I don't use it as much as I used to, nor do I want to see video of someone else nor I want to talk with no reason anymore, because sometimes it may look stupid talking to yourself if somebody doesn't know you're talking through a computer to someone else :D Same as people speaking in public bus or trolleybus with their hands free, looks like idiots until you understand :PNever used Google voice, but as I remember Google talk has the same thing or is it something different? :?

Never used Google voice, but as I remember Google talk has the same thing or is it something different? :?

I think with Skype and with google voice you can ring a home wired phone. You cannot do this with google talk.

The number of features offered by Google voice and all this for free is really amazing. Hoping if it would be released in more countries.Quatrux, Google talk and Google voice are every different even though they serve the same purpose, that is communication. In google talk, we cannot call a real phone number or vice versa. It can only be used for peer to peer voice or text communication online. I use gtalk, and I must say the quality or rather the connectivity of calls is very poor compared to skype. Sometimes the network signal of gtalk suddenly cuts off. And the funny thing is that, if I have been on an intermittent chat with someone on a single call, I wouldn't know when the signal got cut off. I would be keep on wondering why is this pal not answering and when I see the network on the chat box, its gone.

Who knows in future they'll mix google voice and google talk. That will be kill of skype in my opinion. Like this will be a way to use IM and calling to phone from withing messenger. What more we need ?