xisto Community
tansqrx

How Can I Add A Feedback System Similar To Codeproject.com?

I would like to add a community feedback system similar to the one at codeproject.com (http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/18871/YCC-Trainer-Tutorial-for-Yahoo-Messenger). You will notice at the bottom users are able to post questions and see the answers without leaving the page. I do not want an email feedback form but one where any user can post and see the responses. Anyone know of a software package that is able to do this?

I would like to add a community feedback system similar to the one at codeproject.com (http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/18871/YCC-Trainer-Tutorial-for-Yahoo-Messenger). You will notice at the bottom users are able to post questions and see the answers without leaving the page. I do not want an email feedback form but one where any user can post and see the responses. Anyone know of a software package that is able to do this?

I just view page of the codeproject.com website, and for me it is a simple forum software package like the one used here at Xisto but in Threaded mode.

So, you can use for example:

phpBB

SMF

Invision Board

Or any other similar package.

Best regards,

I already have phpBB already installed and functional on my site. I had a guess that is what they were doing but how do I embed that into a separate page? Any links or tutorials out there?

I think that you have some options to do this, in this moment came to my mind the following ways to achieve this:

You can use a simple HTML page with FRAMES or with IFRAMES tags.

You can use a combination of PHP, HTML and Javascript -AJAX-, in this case you can use a HTML DIV tag as a container for your comments system.

You can use the include(), include_once(), require() or require_once() PHP functions to include the comments system page.

I think that the most easy way to do this is by using an iframe at the bottom of any page, like:

<iframe src="message-board-page.php" scrolling="auto" name="comments"></iframe>

Best regards,

I think that you have some options to do this, in this moment came to my mind the following ways to achieve this:

You can use a simple HTML page with FRAMES or with IFRAMES tags.

You can use a combination of PHP, HTML and Javascript -AJAX-, in this case you can use a HTML DIV tag as a container for your comments system.

You can use the include(), include_once(), require() or require_once() PHP functions to include the comments system page.

I think that the most easy way to do this is by using an iframe at the bottom of any page, like:

<iframe src="message-board-page.php" scrolling="auto" name="comments"></iframe>

Best regards,

Thank you. I donât know much about php and I have deliberately excluded JavaScript from my site which leaves me with the iframe. The iframe sounds like a good idea but how safe is it and is it easily blocked?

The reason for not running JavaScript is I have the NoScript Firefox add-on (https://noscript.net/) and I have to add an exception for my site. I just realize that many other users also have this problem and from a usability standpoint, I have decided against JavaScript. I have also heard a lot of bad things about iframes. They certainly have a good side but some sites use them to sneak malware onto your machine. Will using iframes make my site look less trustworthy?

You are welcome, relating your question about how safe the iframe is and is it easyly blocked, well, firrst of all only to say that i'm not an expert in security, saying that in my opinion it is safe enough because you control it and i don't know if you can block it as you can do with Javascript, images or CSS, so, in the following week i will try to search about it if i have some spare time, sorry.

I don't think that your site will look less trustworthy if you decide to use iframes in yours, i know what you say about sites that use iframes to sneak malware onto your machine but as far as i know many sites with good and strong reputation use iframes very well, two sites that i know that uses iframes are GMail and Hotmail and both of them are very trustworthy.

For more information try the following Google search about Iframe Security. After performing this search i found an excellent page named The Spanner - Iframes security summary that summarizes in a very simple way why Iframes are considered a security risk.

But, as i say before, if you decide to use iframes in your site in the correct way and dont try to perform any ilegal activity use it.

Best regards,