xisto Community
ScriptDevil

Best database How to decide

When it comes to the best Database, a lot of stuff needs to be considered1) Size2) Ease of use3) Embedded Nature4) Licensing5) Enterprise Orientedness6) Features1) Size: Oracle is synonymous with databases in companies where there are a huge number of records in the database. Nothing can come close to it.2) Ease of Use: Well, this stands for the interface. There is quite some competition here. Oracle is good. MySQL has some third party GUI and cli interfaces that can ease out the job. Sqlite3 is just too simple and easy to use3) Embedded Nature: sqlite3 is one of the very few quality databases that can be used for embeddes stuff. The entire database comes as a simple file module in python and a small library in C.4) Sqlite, postgreSQL are open sourceMySQL is dual licensed. For non-commercial, it is GPLedMS SQL and Oracle are proprietary5) Enterprises: Oracle for Data Centers, MySQL/PostGres for Open Source purists6) Features: Oracle ships with a whole bunch of toolsMySQL does too. But it is not sql99 compliantPostgres aims for full complianceSqlite3 is not feature rich, but most certainly usable and more than enough for small projects that need to start quickly---ScriptDevil

Great post, thanks. I would say you are right, I completely agree with your analysis.
However, you first added your post as a reply to http://forums.xisto.com/topic/96674-topic/?findpost=, spoiling a topic on a completely different subject (Error in Installyg MySQL server).
However, your text is still valid and still very interesting, that's why I moved it her, in it's own thread.
Please, next time, if you want to express your opinion, look it your text matches the topic subject. If not, please open your own thread.
Regards
Yordan

2) Ease of Use: Well, this stands for the interface. There is quite some competition here. Oracle is good. MySQL has some third party GUI and cli interfaces that can ease out the job. Sqlite3 is just too simple and easy to use

I am going to expand on this a bit for you. For a real DBA the ease of use of the GUI is not a key factor in much the same way a Linux admin may well skip the GUI and go straight to the command line.

In the case of high end database engines the products extension of the SQL language and implements those extensions goes a long way to making the RDMS usable. How the RDBMS handles stored procedures and triggers and the language(s) used for those could be a consideration as well. Reporting tools, of course, greatly contribute to the ease of use for an RDBMS.

Just thought I should add those considerations. I guess you could say that what qualifies as ease of use is greatly dependent on the user in question.

Good info. One thing people need to remember is every situation and personal preference is different. Sometimes you get lucky and you have a situation that perfectly fits one product. Other time you have a situation that maybe two or three database systems would all work wonderously for. Then it falls on anything from personal preference to what you or your group or company are already experienced with or set up for.Persoanlly I've used MySql, ORacle, and MSSQL and each have strong pros and strong cons :mellow: Oracle is currently the one I'm using a lot but it constantly bugs me that there is no auto incrementing fields (at least in the version I'm dealing with on my current project) and must be handled differently then normal.MSSQL sort of bugs me in some ways but when working in .Net architectures some of the tools provided make all DB interactions a breeze and simply a pleasure to work with.And and course, MySQL is top notch stuff by any standard especially when you note it's price tag.

For me, I generally stick to MySQL just because a lot of websites use it and it's the only database system that Xisto provides right now.I've been forced to use MS Access and MSSQL, and I didn't like it one bit. Especially the forcing part lol.xboxrulz

This is an easy question...MySQL is simple the best database...Why do you think that almost all the servers use it? I never have had a problem with MySQL its language is easy to learn and is almost an universal language in programation...I don´t recommend that you use a different type of database...Please don´t lose your time and your brains with others...MySQL is simple the best...Regards

I recently started to learn databases. Right now I have given a try with MySQL and SQLite. SQLite seems to be the most portable in the sense you don't need a server to run the database. I can quickly backup the databse unlike going through the phpmyadmin in MySQL. Although MySQL is also easy to learn, I will stick with SQLite for some more time before moving on to MySQL.Talking about other databases, they are all proprietary and can't be easily setup. And when MySQL is the most widely used, what is the need of thinking about other such databases? One exception is Oracle which I have heard to be the most powerful database system around.

. And when MySQL is the most widely used, what is the need of thinking about other such databases? One exception is Oracle which I have heard to be the most powerful database system around.

For personal purposes, maybe no interest. However, if IT is your job, you cannot ignore databases, at least for backup-restore purposes if you are the system administrator. And if your company chooses db2, you have to cope with it, even for personal purposes you would have chosen something else.

I would say the MySQL is indeed the most commonly used database software, especially in conjuction with web servers. On the other hand, for desktop applications like Mozilla Firefox 3, SQLite is a great database engine that can be run on demand without using much memory and does not need to be running continously. Another advantage of SQLite is that it is free to use and implement with any software development project, compared to MySQL and other commerical database software which require license fees when using the software in a commerical or business environment. However, it should be noted that SQLite is not suitable for use in a web environment.

I would say the MySQL is indeed the most commonly used database software

Now comes my philosophical point of view.The start topic question was "the best database". Your answer concerns "the most commonly used database".
This is quite a different question.
Let's take an exemple.
If I ask : "what is the best language", the answer is obviously "my native language, because it's the one I am familiar with".
If I ask : "whet is the most commonly spoken language ?" the answer is "Chinese". This is true. And, of course, from my point of view, it's not "the best language" because it's a language I cannot speak! From another point of view, it's the best language to speak in my office in order to prevent me understanding a secret. :o