xisto Community
al421552

Vista Screen Glitch Problem screen keeps freezing for half a second in 5 second intervals

I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate edition (x86). I've been having this problem for as long as I've had Vista now and could never find any reliable information about it. I'd say once about every 10 times I start my computer, all of my startup programs will load fine, but the screen will just freeze for a half second every five seconds. When I say freeze, I mean that you can't see the mouse moving, or anything at all moving or updating (including Windows DreamScene). The entire screen just completely freezes. This creates an extremely annoying jerky type of computer environment. Every time this happens I am forced to restart my computer. This also has happened after I have been using my computer for a while (albeit much more rarely). While this might not seem like that big of a problem, it is quite annoying, and if anyone could help me out, that would be great. Thanks.

You will have to provide your computer specifications, especially your processor, motherboard, and video card.I have never run across this exact problem but it sounds like incompatible hardware or outdated drivers. Of course run through and update all of your hardware drivers and disable or remove any software that you don’t need.I know this would drive me crazy so I would most likely reformat and see if that fixes the problem. If the freezing continues, I would remove every component down to the processor, motherboard, memory, video card, and hard drive which the OS is installed and then reinstall again. If this fixes the problem then reintroduce components until you find the offender. Otherwise you have faulty hardware.

I don’t get the feeling that he has slow hardware from the original post. He has Vista Ultimate and that usually shows that he either got it with a high end machine or cares enough to pony up for the extra “benefits” of Ultimate.To me it doesn’t sound like a memory problem but you can always run Windows Memory Diagnostic (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/) to find out. Until about six months ago I also would rule out software but I had a bad incident with Zone Alarm under Vista that proved me wrong. The first place for me to look is video card drivers but they usually cause a bad boot every time and not intermittently. The next place I would look is overheating and I would open the case to see if that changed the frequency of the hanging.

Also have a look at the virtual memory size. This sometimes occurs when the virtual memory is somehow small, and everything freezes while Windows increases the virtual memory size. Of course you have a warning popup, but this warning window can come a little bit late, our could be hidden by other windows.

lotsa probzVista Screen Glitch Problem

I have a near new Toshiba Satellite Notebook with Windows Vista Premium.I have had a few problems recently.

1) The visualisations in my windows media player wont display.I have been online looking up how to fix this problem.I have clicked the arrow under the 'now playing' tab, selected the visualisation mode I want to display, but then there is no tab to switch from library screen to visualisation screen.I have checked my display adapters in my device manager.I have only one adapter: Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family.I have no idea what that is.But I should have a video card built in to enable the visualisations on my media player to display???.If I don't have a video card then how do I get one put on (free if possible).

2)When I run a disk clean up, it tells me what files aren't needed. My computer has a base score of 3.5. But it doesn't give me an option to remove them.(I'm trying to optimize the performance of my computer).Any idea how to remove them?Trust me I have spent alot of time trying to figure this out.I've even gone to the actual file to try and delete them and it wont let me.The files are in the hard disc drive system.

3)I have recently been downloading a lot of programs for various things from the internet. I.E: nintendo ds lite files, rar files, torrents, extracting & unzipping programs and programs to cleanup my computer.

It turns out that downloading movies & games is a real big headache.I've downloaded so many programs to help me open,extract & run these movies & games and I still have problems. I even subscribed to DSi Download Center (which cost me $49) so that it was legitimate. And they are suppose to be 24/7 support but havent replied to my problems yet. Winrar,Bitzipper,Extract Now,Repair Programs,Emulators.Theyre all a big headache.At the end of the day does it come down to the file?.Cause all these programs should do what theyre suppose to do,but wont if the file is damaged or corrupt.My question is how do I know I am downloading a complete and undamaged file?

And I've tried 3 different programs to clean up my computer,run the scans and they all have told me I have over a thousand different problems.Then I click the 'repair now' or 'fix now' tab and then it wants me to pay for it.I've looked for some of the problems they say I'm having, but I cant find any of them.  Is this a scam to buy their product to put a virus into my computer or a scam to buy their product and I don't even need it?

So in summary this is what I cant do and how do I do it...Oh just thought u might want to know that this is about the thousandth forum I have been to, to find similar problems.So don't think that I havent done my homework first.I am usually very patient...But ive been at this damn computer for a week now and I still cant fix things.

a) I need a trusty emulator program to open nds files to play on my pc, and when I get a R4 card, I will put the files on that so the kids can play them on their ds lites. Ive tried two emulators already and they wont work.

B) Do I have a built in program to optimize the performance of my computer or do I have to purchase one?Is my norton program all I need?

c)Where do I get a video card for the visualisations?

Oh VLC media player plays the  movies I downloaded that media classic player and windows media player couldnt.I'm glad I stumbled onto that.

If u need to know more about my computer system please give me the details u need.

This what I do know:  windows vista home premium. Pentium ® dual core CPU.T4300 @ 2.10 2.10ghz ghz.Memory ram:4.00GB. 32 bit operating system.  Windows Aero.

can someone help please.

-question by djay4me

hello everyone.. I have problem in my laptop.. Everytime I play a game, the screen size becomes small.. Not just one game but all the game that I have in my computer.. But  when I go back to the dsktop the screen size becomes normal.. It seems that I changed a setting and I forgot how to turn it back to normal... Can anyone plss help me?

-reply by slychoi

hello everyone.. I have problem in my laptop.. Everytime I play a game, the screen size becomes small.. Not just one game but all the game that I have in my computer.. But when I go back to the dsktop the screen size becomes normal.. It seems that I changed a setting and I forgot how to turn it back to normal... Can anyone plss help me?
-reply by slychoi

Are all the games from the same manufacturer ? For instance, do you have this problem with all the games downloaded from the same site ? Some of them have a setting like "use full screen mode" to be unchecked.

windows vista home edition?Vista Screen Glitch ProblemOk so I've got ragnarok up and running on it but it runs in this riny little window.I have a sony viao mid 2009 version-intel® core™ 2duo cpu t5800@2.Ooghz3gigs of ramAnd 32-bit operating systemWhat could be the problem.I've clicked open in full screen mode changed the settings completely and even reloadedRebooted and reinstalled (OS) and it still opens in a small window like I opened an internetBrowser(almost typed bowser) under 620-420 scheme very small window but the chars move and everything what could be a fix?LynnAka POETxME-question by lynn

Maybe that your GPU or CPU overheat, it happened to me. Try to get speedfan to see if the temperature is rising. 

My computer was always starting to glitch after +/- half an hour of playing, with this I saw that my GPU temp was rising above 95'C. I added a 5$ fan and it solved my problem

windows vista ????Vista Screen Glitch Problem

I play different games and many times the screen res becomes large, I can normaly change it but this time it large icons or small icons, my pic wallpaper is sidebarred. How can I get back to normal font, wallpaper?

-reply by anne