xisto Community
thasoldier

Which Web Browser Do You Use?

Which web browser do you use? I use Mozilla Firefox, and sometimes Opera, never Internet Explorer.

I use Mozilla Firefox. They have an incredible amount of add-ons that can be used for things such as facebook, myspace, yahoo chat, google chat ect. One of my favorites is a sidebar that has all of my chat applications, facebook updates and other social networking items.

Mozilla also has tabbed browsing, the ability to create themes, and a wonderful password manager called Sxipper.

It is very easy to download. Simply go to their homepage and follow the one screen directions. Then simply click "find add-on's" and you will be given a whole host of wonderful add-on options.

Hope that answers your question.

Sincerely,
Celeste Stone

I use Opera as my primary browser, it's not the lightest browser, but it's blazing fast and has all the features and tools I need.On my virtual windows environment I use Google Chrome as my primary browser because I only need a safe application for surfing the web.IE is only used when something doesn't work in Opera or Chrome (hasn't happend for a while, except google chrome which failed while surfing msnd :mellow: ).For developping website I use all browsers available that are commonly used (Opera 8.5/9.6, Firefox 2/3, Safari, IE5/6/7/8, Chrome)

I use Opera as my main browser; Firefox for testing out sites or when i have too many tabs opened in Opera. :mellow: When a browser has many features that doesn't burden the performance of the browser, then you know you have a well coded browser. I wouldn't mind seeing Opera's source code. I'm currently running the latest snapshot of Opera 10. But i'm waiting for PyQt4 to support Qt4.5 so i can work on making my own browser. The Webkit engine that comes with Qt4.4 isn't all that great for rendering websites and Qt4.4 currently doesn't support browser plug-ins (at least to my knowledge).When building my websites, i don't even worry about how they look in Internet Explorer. I would rather force users to use another browser or annoy them on every page (though i don't really do that... yet). It's quicker than wasting your time adding Internet Explorer hacks to your code.

My primary browser is Firefox 3. I think Safari for Windows is slower than firefox. Sometimes I hate to use it. It loads flash objects a little bit lazy. I don't about the added security of Safari, but Firefox is great. Amen.

I use Mozilla Firefox 3 as the primary web browser and to read my subscribed RSS Feeds. I also have Google Chrome, Internet Explorer and Apple Safari installed on my computer, mainly to have a 'complete' set to test the results of my web design and development. Google Chrome is sort of my secondary browser when I don't want to have to load Firefox browser crowded with an assortment of extensions, and Internet Explorer when Windows Live Messenger opens my inbox for me.@rockershive,I also find Safari a bit laggy, especially when running it on Windows. I suppose it isn't perfected yet for running on Windows, since I found it is not as responsive as the other browsers.

I use Opera last versin for my everyday work/serfing/research,except for the cases when looking video *tube sites, then I use mozilla with its available saveing addonsFor web development I use Mozilla Firefox with its Firebug pluginAnd, when there something doesn't work, I use IE available version, especially for something Microsoft-specific ( for example copy text from browser into MS Word - only IE copies in right format)

I use Opera as my primary browser, it really got much better since the new version and the preview/alpha version of Opera 10 passes Acid3 test by 100%, as I know also Safari 4 Developer Preview passes it, it's quite a big advantage, as other browsers will try to comply acid3 test, Opera and Safari could be doing something else, like improving performance and so on..Sometimes, some sites don't work with Opera, it's usually because those sites use stuff which only works on IE, thats the reason why I sometimes use IE.. It's really great that Windows Vista does not need IE to go to Windows update service anymore.. :mellow:I also test my webpages with Firefox and Google chrome as it is using the same engine as Safari, to know how my pages look on different browsers, on Vista it's impossible yet to use IE6, so sometimes I just use an online service which shows me how the page/layout looks on IE6 or I ask some friend on some chat, even though the best solution would be to run a virtual machine and run IE6 :P

I use Mozilla Firefox and occasionally, IE, sadly. I more or less like the look and feel of Mozilla. Tabs/bookmarks/etc are just in the right spots. The addons are nice, too. I enjoy using adblock, and especially enjoy using downthemall.The reason I still use IE is because I have online classes and the schools website gives Mozilla a hard time, otherwise I would hack the WindowsXp operating system, and remove all instances of IE from my computer.

The reason I still use IE is because I have online classes and the schools website gives Mozilla a hard time

If you are allowed to use an USB flashdisk, you can use Mozilla Firefox Portable, you don't have to install it, you can run it from your flashdisk : ready to use including your bookmarks.

You get it from here : http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

It looks like I may be in the minority here because I use IE for my primary browser. I also use Firefox 3 about 40% of the time but I have experienced some cookie problems with it and generally run IE for my critical applications (banking, hotmail, etc.). I like to use IE because I dabble in security research and I like to experience things from the typical user’s point-of-view. Firefox has a strong market share of around 20-25% but that means that the average user still uses IE and I don’t want to lose a certain perspective by exclusively running Firefox. I also usually surf through a proxy when using Firefox so I can have one instance of IE open checking my bank (it looks a little suspicious to the bank if you check it from Russia) and have another instance of Firefox surfing through Russia.I also have Opera, Safari, and Chrome installed as part of my Yahoo! research.

I just saw this on Slashdot and I believe it is related (https://slashdot.org/story/09/02/19/2056228/microsoftcom-makes-ie8-incompatibility-list)

Microsoft.com Makes IE8 Incompatibility List!
"Microsoft is tracking incompatible Web sites for its upcoming Internet Explorer 8 browser and has posted a list that now contains about 2,400 names â including Microsoft.com. Apparently, even though Microsoft's IE8 team is doing the 'right' thing by finally making IE more standards-compliant, they are risking 'breaking the Web' because the vast majority of Web sites are still written to work correctly with previous, non-standards-compliant versions of IE."

It looks like I may be in the minority here because I use IE for my primary browser.

I'm also in the same minority. My professional webmail refuses Firefox, so I have to use IE6. So, I use Firefox at home and IE6 at work. Which means 12 hours per day with IE6 and 2 hours per day with Firefox...

If you are allowed to use an USB flashdisk, you can use Mozilla Firefox Portable, you don't have to install it, you can run it from your flashdisk : ready to use including your bookmarks.

You get it from here : http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable https://e''>https://e'>http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable https://e

No no, not a problem as in installing it. Mozilla is capable of being installed on the school computers, and of course, my computer. The school has it setup to where the schools site checks compatibility with browsers, which is quite stupid, I think, but they don't always update it with the newest Mozilla. But, even if I use an older Mozilla or a newer Mozilla, it actually takes longer to load up than IE, and I don't need it to load slower, especially since I am one of the"do at the last minute" type of person.

Edited by zaryk (see edit history)

I'm also in the same minority. My professional webmail refuses Firefox, so I have to use IE6. So, I use Firefox at home and IE6 at work. Which means 12 hours per day with IE6 and 2 hours per day with Firefox...

There are always workarounds :mellow: If you completely happy with how IE6 works, hang on to it - but from my own experience, it is always good to switch to Firefox if you can.

I have a similar problem as yourself - I cannot access my bank account online through Firefox, only through IE. Since I use Ubuntu, this is quite a problem, as I have to restart the computer every time to get into Windows (luckily, I don't do that often). You, however, are running Windows, so there is still some hope :wub:

As far as I know, there is a plug-in for Firefox which enables you to use Internet Explorer inside the Firefox shell. In other words, it can be configured to open certain web sites with Internet Explorer, but hidden inside Firefox. You would still be using Internet Explorer for your webmail, but Firefox for everything else - without having to switch between them manually.

Another solution, one which I would employ, is to redirect all incoming mail (if possible) to your GMail account (if you have one). One of GMail's best features is that you can send e-mail from different addresses through your account. The mail is sent from Google's servers, but the "from" field contains another e-mail address. Those of you familiar with PHP will surely understand that this is easily achieved, but GMail makes it even easier. You just need to configure your webmail to forward everything, and tell Firefox to reply with the webmail e-mail when answering to the mail that was forwarded.

The system seems somewhat complicated, but it does help a lot - I manage three different e-mail address from my GMail account, and am happy to have all the "letters" in one place :P