xisto Community
yordan

Need A Free Iso Editor in order to add files to a CD iso

Hi, I would like to add some files to a previously created CD or DVD.I was familiar with winiso or ultraiso, who do the job perfectly : you create an ISO file from your CD, and then you add files to the iso, and burn the iso to a CD, and your new files are there.However, you have to pay for ultraiso. Do you know a free software doing correctly the same job ?RegardsYordan

Well, I used to think some years ago that the only good software for CD burning and ISO stuff was Nero, but it's not free and on this forum I've found out about CDBurnerXP which is really good for doing stuff with your files, as I understand you need to create iso files? or edit them by adding stuff, I think it is possible with CDBurnerXP, it's freeware and does the job well.

https://cdburnerxp.se/

by the way, even though it sounds like it's for Windows XP, but it works quite well with Windows Vista too :mellow:

I didn't know you could alter ISO's with CDBurnerXP :mellow: What you could try is mounting the ISO file use daemon tools, create a new (empty) iso, copy all the file from the virtual drive and add the files you want.

I didn't know you could alter ISO's with CDBurnerXP :mellow:
What you could try is mounting the ISO file use daemon tools, create a new (empty) iso, copy all the file from the virtual drive and add the files you want.

It's still the same problem : you need a tool able to create the empty iso, and able to add files to that iso.

I also used to use WinISO but now I use an unusual alternative, WinRAR (http://www.rarlab.com/). WinRAR is not free but you can use the unlicensed version basically forever with only a nag screen. If you are not familiar with WinRAR then you should give it a look because it is the best archive software period. Several versions ago they added ISO support and now it’s what I use to modify and extract ISO’s.

I also used to use WinISO but now I use an unusual alternative, WinRAR (http://www.rarlab.com/). WinRAR is not free but you can use the unlicensed version basically forever with only a nag screen. If you are not familiar with WinRAR then you should give it a look because it is the best archive software period. Several versions ago they added ISO support and now itâs what I use to modify and extract ISOâs.

I gave it a try, doesn't work. winrar is able to open an iso file, and extract some parts or extract everything, but cannot add a file to an iso. Even a registered version cannot do that.

You can try this, but its'nt free :mellow:

Magic ISO Maker (MagicISO) ... MagicISO is a powerful CD/DVD image file creating /editing/extracting tool. It can open / create / edit /extract CD/DVD image ... http://www.magiciso.com/

CD and DVD Data Recovery/Rescue software (BD and HD DVD Data Recovery). Rescues lost files from bad or trashed CD or DVD discs, saves important documents, ... https://www.isobuster.com/

CD and DVD Data Recovery/Rescue software (BD and HD DVD Data Recovery). Rescues lost files from bad or trashed CD or DVD discs, saves important documents, ... https://www.isobuster.com/

isobuster also does not do the job : it does not allow you to add extra files to your iso.

I think I was thinking the wrong way. Probably the best way is to put all my files in a temporary folder, let's say c:\mycdtemp, and use mkisofs (the windows or the linux version) to create the final iso. A kind of step-by-step for having the binaries and a working syntax is here : http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Of course, my goal is to create a multiple-linux bootable cd, and not to create a "windows bootable cd", but the principle of using mkisofs and the syntax provided makes sense :

mkisofs \

-b cdboot/msboot.img -no-emul-boot -boot-load-seg 1984 -boot-load-size 4 \

-iso-level 2 -J -l -D -N -joliet-long -relaxed-filenames \

-V "WINSP" \

-o ../winsp.iso .

So, no need to modify an existing iso, when working that way the goal is to start from a folder and create an iso having that folder. Any further modifications will be simply add files to that original folder and re-create the iso file using the same syntax, and burn to CD, or test it with an emulated machine.

I'm not sure if you have solved the problem yet but I use InfraRecorder to edit/burn ISO to CDs and DVDs. If you still are having trouble you may want to try it, though I am unsure if it is capable of doing everything you need. It only works for windows I think, but I have gotten it to run on Linux using wine (I have never actually tried burning an ISO on Linux though). It is free, so that shouldn't be a problem. There is a lot of documentation and many tutorials online on how to use it, so just use Google if you need help.

Hope this helps,
Sparkx

Links:
InfraRecoder

Personally, I would just use DAEMON Tools Lite to mount my current ISO which I wanted to edit, and would create a new ISO with my wanted extra files by putting them from the mounted disk and would save the new ISO file somewhere on my hard disk or just would burn the CD with that ISO files. Seems like an altering an ISO file method for me.

Can you use Linux? I haven't done this myself as an edit, but I've read at least a dozen threads where others have done it. I routinely use loopmount to read the contents of an ISO without burning a CD.

I did a google search on editing iso loop and this was the first hit: Tool to Open and Edit ISO . When Unix was originally designed by Bell Labs, the underlying concept was that everything was a file. Loopmount is the standard method of making that explicit.

Hope this helps! :mellow:

P.S.: If you really want to do it in Windows, here is a specialized tool that may help: nLite. It is an ISO editor, specifically designed to edit (clean up) Windows XP. The folks on their forum may be able to tell you how to do it more generally in Windows, or a search on slipstream may get you what you are looking for in the Windows world.

If you can use Linux then you could use ISO Master which can create/edit ISO files, they also have a demo version for Windows and to remove it's limitations you need to buy it. I don't know what the limitations are though.There doesn't seem to be any complications with porting the Linux source over to Windows either, well that's just what I've seen by glancing over the code.Cheers,MC

I have been using CD BurnerXP since like forever... probably when DVDShrink was still popular. I used CD BurnerXP to do my CD and DVDs, as well as images.Other software that i use to work with and modify iso's are in this order1) WinISO - I like it cause it reads more of the older format(s) and can backup and inject the boot information.2) PowerISO - There are some iso files online that are stubborn with CDBurnerXP and WinIso, so i try this. (Trial has size limits)3) Magic ISO Maker - If worst comes to worst then I take the time in install this program. (Trail has size limits)4) Microsoft VirtualPC - boot from Virtual OS for testing purposes.5) AutoStreamer - for slipstream SP(s)I never use Nero suites and I tend to have problems with the Roxio and Sonic stuff on client machines sometimes but that's probably cause of old/oem versions, you never know.** The main thing I've just recently noticed with compatibilities with DVD(s) are some dated drives don't support the DVD+R (like this laptop I'm on) Use a program like Everest Ultimate Edition to verify your CD/DVR-RW(s) compatibility.Hope this helps :mellow:

Finally I used the windows version of mkisofs. I put all my distros in a directory, and I used isolinux to create a multiboot cd.
The syntax is somehow trapping for a newbie, needed some time to get it working :

mkisofs -o output.iso -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table .
The trick is that all the files have to bee in the isolinux folder, including Menu.txt, and that syslinux.cfg has to be copied (or renamed) to isolinux.cfg