xisto Community
wutske

Switching Outlook For Thunderbird How can I correctly export contacts ?

A long time ago I installed Outlook 2003 because I needed it for synching my PDA. However, I came across some nice, platform independent, applications that can synch calendars and contacts with my pda using Mozilla Thunderbird. Considering I run both windows and linux, it would be great if I could move all my outlook data to thunderbird.So far I got the agenda exported using FreeMiCal and sucessfully imported it in thunderbird (and synched it with google calendar, something that was almost impossible in outlook :mellow: ).Now I'm trying to export my contacts to thunderbird, but there are a few things that go wrong :P . For some reason it doesn't make a difference between home and work adress, it set both fields to the same values. Some other information like birthdays, photos, ... are gone too (there is a plugin that adds this information to the adressbook, but the information is not imported in thunderbird).So, does anyone know a free application that is up to the task of exporting moving my contacts correctly from outlook to thunderbird ?

I have just noticed that Google has seriously updated the gmail adresbook. It appears to be that it almost completely supports the Outlook CVS file (btw. Thunderbird supports Outlook CVS files too, but matching the fields is a disaster) and that it's also capable of exporting the contacts as a VCF file, which Thunderbird seems to import fantastic.And no information is lost because unknown fields (like the birtday or someone's webpage) are placed in the contact's comment.So ... basicly I don't need a solution anymore (at least almost, cuz it seems to have some problems with the umlaut in Belgiƫ, but that probably has something to do with the coding scheme)

Easy way to get Outlook dataSwitching Outlook For ThunderbirdI tried to move my Outlook mail over to Thunderbird but nothing seems to work. I tried a Thunderbird plug-in with French error messages but that didn't work either.My problem was made worse because I had PC problems and could only save the pst file from a dying hard drive. I had to get my email back. There was information I needed and I had software keys for about 10 programs on it that I never backed up. After checking dozens of blogs and forums, it seemed the only way to move the data was to have Outlook installed.

I found a program called pst walker here => http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ that let me read pst files directly and copy any attachments I need to other locations. I got all my data back and it saved my contacts too. I didn't like paying the registration fee but it was better than losing all my contacts and data in my email.

I must have searched through more than 20 forums and blogs before I found this solution so I'm passing this information along to every site I visited. I appreciate the help I get from these forums and blogs and I'm happy I can give something back.MailSavR-reply by MailSavRKeywords: