xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mordent

Lowercase "desktop"? How do I make Desktop lowercase in the Places menu

After last week's update fiasco, system running Fedora 10 seems to be back on track. By that, I mean everything is working pretty smoothly, although there's a few little issues I've yet to resolve:

The main one, and the whole point of this topic, is trying to find out how I can change "Desktop" to "desktop" in the "Places" menu. Being an electronic engineering student, I've done what I consider to be good practice and started naming files and directories all in lower case, with underscores instead of spaces, using not much punctuation (i.e. I use the occasional hyphen).

For the sake of argument, let's say that my username on my system is "myuser" (i.e. all lower case). In my home directory (i.e. /home/myuser/) there are a whole range of default directories, such as "Documents", "Music", "Templates" and so on. I've managed to rename these to "documents", "music" and "templates" (etc.) without breaking any links such that when I click on the "Places" menu at the top of the screen I see the directories in lowercase and everything seems great. I should also point out that my home directory shows as "myuser's home", which is what I wanted, so yay! :rolleyes:

I then came to trying to alter the directory called "Desktop", which is the only one left that's giving me any grief. After various web browsing and forum trawling (which was also part of the process when renaming the other directories), I came across a page that pointed me towards "/home/myuser/.config/user-dirs.dir"

The contents of that file now look like this (after various tweaking of cases):

# This file is written by xdg-user-dirs-update# If you want to change or add directories, just edit the line you're
# interested in. All local changes will be retained on the next run
# Format is XDG_xxx_DIR="$HOME/yyy", where yyy is a shell-escaped
# homedir-relative path, or XDG_xxx_DIR="/yyy", where /yyy is an
# absolute path. No other format is supported.
#
XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/desktop"
XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/download"
XDG_TEMPLATES_DIR="$HOME/templates"
XDG_PUBLICSHARE_DIR="$HOME/public"
XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR="$HOME/documents"
XDG_MUSIC_DIR="$HOME/music"
XDG_PICTURES_DIR="$HOME/pictures"
XDG_VIDEOS_DIR="$HOME/videos"

I should point out that originally a number of the files there, possibly all of them, as I forgot to make a copy and back it up (terrible, I know...), had the first letter of the directories listed in uppercase.

I remember changing for certain the desktop one, though, as it complained about some sort of broken somesuch if I didn't...now, that's all very well and good, and when I click on any of the directories in the Places menu it has no trouble opening the right thing. Even the "Desktop" one now opens the correct directory, but it still appears in the "Places" list as "Desktop", and not "desktop", despite the fact that the folder in my home folder is now called "desktop" (and works fine, it even has the desktop icon instead of a folder)

Any suggestions as to how I can get around this? It's the only one that's not conforming to my (probably too) rigorous naming scheme. :P

Any and all help or advice would be appreciated, as although it's functioning fine seeing one little thing different that doesn't really have a reason for being different grates against my inner-perfectionist. :P

Cheers!

haha, lol :rolleyes:
The fact that the Desktop thingy in your places is with a capital has probably something to do with the localisation (translation). You shouldn't be looking for directories to change this, but for localisation files.
Maybe this link helps: https://wiki.gnome.org/TranslationProject/LocalisationGuide

haha, lol :rolleyes:

The fact that the Desktop thingy in your places is with a capital has probably something to do with the localisation (translation). You shouldn't be looking for directories to change this, but for localisation files.

Maybe this link helps: https://wiki.gnome.org/TranslationProject/LocalisationGuide

Hmmm...sounds more like the sort of thing I need to read, but I wouldn't know where to start. :P

Perhaps something for when I have a little more free time on my hands, or if someone else fancies having a go they're more than welcome to. Let me know how you do! Seems odd to me that it can't be easily changed, or at least not obviously...ah well.

Thanks!