xisto Community
laniczech

Windows 2000 update to 2009 specs

I remember when XP got popular, some people still used Win98 to play different games, because they were faster and they worked there normally, but as I know Windows 2000 with all the service packs isn't much of a difference from Win XP, it justs looks better, but the core is similar, just newer/better and as I know with more service packs, even some older games in compatibility mode or with things like DOSBox and other software games works normally, you can make Windows XP look like Windows 2000 and it will eat the same amount of memory and CPU, just for gaming turn of services you don't need and different stuff. :rolleyes:There is software, I can't really remember the name now, but I think on google it can be found, that on your WinXP you can run it and you can play older Games which works great with Win95 or Win98, for DOS games, the best would be DOSBox, but for example that software is much better than just simple WinXP properties and when you select the checkbox to run in compatibility mode as Win95 or etc,The bad thing with older games, is the current monitors we usually use, they are huge, with better resolution, and games with 640x480 looks really ugly :P

Actually, Windows XP brought much more than just cosmetic changes. It ushered in many security features not found in Windows 2000 like "Run As Administrator". Also, I think they introduced the Windows Compatibility Mode in Windows XP which wasn't available in Windows 2000, last check.I don't see any reason to run Windows 2000 unless you don't plan to use any new software that is only available in Windows XP (or works with it). A lot of games won't even run Windows 2000 like Battlefield 2142 so I was basically pushed to go Windows XP. Now I'm on Windows Server 2008 so I'm a little bit ahead of the game lol. Now, for Windows 7....xboxrulz

Because I have't installed Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 before.So it is hard to confirm that whether they both are removed the support for OpenGL.I just get to know this from textbook.What this mean anyone who use applications based on it will require third-pary librarys.Blender might be an example one.So, except almost all applications need to be run under Windows Vista.I will still on Windows XP.OR, please correct me if I'am wrong.

Because I have't installed Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 before.So it is hard to confirm that whether they both are removed the support for OpenGL.
I just get to know this from textbook.

What this mean anyone who use applications based on it will require third-pary librarys.
Blender might be an example one.

So, except almost all applications need to be run under Windows Vista.
I will still on Windows XP.

OR,

please correct me if I'am wrong.

As long as you have drivers from your graphic card manufacturer, direct rendering on OpenGL has NOT been removed. I run Google Earth in OpenGL all the time and run some demos on Java that relies on OpenGL to render 3D graphics.

xboxrulz

That looks great.However, if from a developer perspective.How to enable it on a Windows Server 2008 box if microsoft said that they are removed it from the system.Yes, I think there is must be a some way to do that because apps still run over it by using something like include "opengl.h" .orit is none at all.If so, how developers write OpenGL apps that run on top of it ?