xisto Community
Sellaman

Digital Painting Of A Wildflower. What do you think of my painting?

I'm intrigued...what counts as a "Digital Painting"? I realise it's stored on computer, so therefore is stored digitally, but did you make it on the computer itself? Is it a digital manipulation of a photograph that was scanned in/taken on a digital camera? I'm just curious, as it's pretty good and wondered what you're basing it off of.Nice work, by the way, I thought "flower" before reading your description, which I suppose is a good thing. :rolleyes:

I'm intrigued...what counts as a "Digital Painting"?

I would say that it's a painting if an artist takes a brush in order to put some paint on a flat surface.Whether it's stored in a computer or it's stored on your dining room table, it's a paint if somebody uses his hand in order to create it (moving his hand or asking his mouse to draw a circle).

If you start from a picture taken by a camera, I would not name it "painting", I would name it "artistic graphic effects" or "horrible manipulation on a nice photo" depending whether I like the artist or not. It's still artistic, simply the tools are different.

A friend of mine first takes a picture with his camera, then goes to the photo lab in order to have it printed, and then buys virgin white tissue panels and sprays paint on the tissue with his brushes or with his fingers and what he does approximately looks like the picture. This is also an artistic job, with other physical means.

And depending from the artist, depending if he is a teacher or a seller, sometimes he tells you how he did his thing, sometimes he does not tell us.

Clearly, Sellaman, please tell us how you obtained your flower. I guess that you did a hard work with digital brushes and added some solarization effects, am I right ?

I'm trying to remember how I did the painting. It's hard to explain. I used photoshop and from a blank page I swirled colors , put them through different effects and filters, saved layers and layered one on top of another. I made about 15 results and this one looked more 'natural' as a flower. It took me about 20 hours to make , on and off, having a rest and coming back to it.Thanks both for your comments.....they are interesting. I suppose if you saw all the paintings on my galleries you may have not have asked if it was a photo that had been manipulated. I'd hate to think that after putting it up on my web site with the rest of my digital paintings that viewers would dismiss it as a photo manipulation.Thanks again.Anyhow the main reason I posted this up was to get feedback as to if it looked like a flower and both of you hit the mark!

I suppose if you saw all the paintings on my galleries you may have not have asked

This would be a great idea. Why not sharing your paintings with us ?Not all of them, of course, nobody is perfect, at least nobody is constantly perfect.
But, if you happen to have hosting here at Xisto, maybe you could open a 4gallery picture gallery, showing the drawings you like and leaving us commenting them.
Of course, Xisto forum is an alternate way for doing that, although more general-purpose.

*snip*...I suppose if you saw all the paintings on my galleries you may have not have asked if it was a photo that had been manipulated. I'd hate to think that after putting it up on my web site with the rest of my digital paintings that viewers would dismiss it as a photo manipulation.Thanks again.
Anyhow the main reason I posted this up was to get feedback as to if it looked like a flower and both of you hit the mark!

Oh, by no means did I say that it was a photo that had been manipulated in any way, I was just curious. I'm a hopeless artist, being a pretty much completely logically minded person. The best work I've come up with digitally has been entirely vector-based stuff using Inkscape.

The thing I really wanted to know was what you based your opinion of your painting looking like a flower was off of. I assume you started with the idea of "a flower" in your mind, perhaps a rough kind of flower or colours or somesuch, then - as you said - went at it with different approaches, layers, effects etc. until you got a result that you were happy with. Either way, I certainly like the effect.

After rummaging through your galleries (I assume they're the ones accessible in your signature link?) I'm a teensy bit confused, so perhaps you could clarify something for me:

"My Digital and Watercolor Art": I can't say I can see anywhere which ones are digital and which ones are watercolour (I'm guessing the "watercolour" ones are scanned in ones based on actual physical paintings you have done?), or am I getting the wrong end of the paintbrush on this one? :rolleyes:

Either way, keep up the good work, some of that stuff's pretty awesome and I admire the fact that you allow people to download it.

@ yordan
Yes, I will share my paintings with you guys. Happy to do so. And maybe if I get hosting here I'll be able to do something fancy like putting up a web site based on Coppermine or something better. I already have a Coppermine site http://error404.000webhost.com/ that I put up with a free host last week.

What is 'a 4gallery picture gallery' ? Is it the Gallery that is attached to this forum?

@ Mordent.
I take different approached when I do a digital painting. Sometimes I do not know what the finished product will be ( as in the case of this painting I showed here) and at other times I know what the end product will be. Maybe I should clarify which paintings of mine are watercolor paintings but I have not got around to doing that yet. The watercolor (and a few acrylic paintings) I did have been photographed with my digital camera and slightly edited in photoshop.

Yes, it is my gallery web site that is in my signature link. Thanks for the feedback and visiting my site.

@ laniczech
Thanks for the link and your feedback as well. I am on a similar site to Artwanted.com called Deviant Art.

That painting is really amazing, the first time I saw it it was soooo artistic, well done and when I just read that you spend about 20 hours creating it, I got a little amazed, all day doing one thing or you didn't do everything at once? :rolleyes:To add, I also would like to see some more work of your!

*snip* ...I am on a similar site to Artwanted.com called Deviant Art.

Got to love DeviantArt...I don't suppose you'd mind posting your profile link/PMing me it? I like to have a look at people's work. :rolleyes:

Quatrux and Mordent. I 'll post more of my art here but for now it's far better to visit my web site in my signature because I have Google Analytics on my whole site and I'll be able to tell which ones of my paintings are visited most often. :rolleyes:

But if you really want to check out my art on Deviant Art , here is my spot, http://sellaman.deviantart.com/
It has only had half the paintings that I have on my web site.

@ yordanWhat is 'a 4gallery picture gallery' ? Is it the Gallery that is attached to this forum?

Sorry, it's 4image gallery, not 4gallery image.
In your cpanel at Xisto, in the Fantastico section, you have Coppermine and 4image gallery.
I used both, I prefer 4image.