xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
darasen

How To Improve Windows.

Lets face facts Windows is currently the most used operating system in the world. That said, let us also admit that Windows is not the greatest OS out there either. (that would be Unix) So ignoring completely ones opinions of Windows let's imagine we had the power to chance Windows completely and were able to disregard previous Windows implementations (if you so choose ie the start menu) and Microsoft marketing techniques. How would you change Windows to make it better? For me the most fundamental change would be to make it more like Linux or OS X and have the kernel separate from everything else. Thus the Gui would be separate. Additionally any program that ties into the OS that really has no reason to would be separate. Removing explorer and media player from the OS would go a long way to making a better more secure OS. Next I will kill the registry. Tome the Windows registry is completely antiquated and the source of a majority of Windows' problems. How much harder would it be for malware to tuck itself into hiding places with out the registry. Installs and uninstalls would be so much smoother as well with out remnants of stuff bloating it. The registry has to go. There are other ideas, of course, nut I'd like to hear the communities.

Start from scratch. Config files should be with the program files, lock to the appropiate or admin users is easy. At each stage think if it should be in, in a high-end version, or not in. No point in arguing for open-source, but better apis, and respectable languages (eg ruby or python is in OSX).

I will try to be as open as possible here but I have to admit that I am a Windows person.For me the hallmark of a good operating system is productivity. The operating system where I can get the most done in the least amount of time is the winner. Since I grew up on Windows I inherently know more about the OS than any *NIX variants and for me I can get around the GUI much faster than in Linux. Another benefit of Windows is that it is usually ready for work once the installation has finished. I will spare the horror stories but several years ago I got through with an installation of Red Hat and the video driver was not installed. Of course no driver was provided and then the fun began with opening more configurations files than I care to remember.More deeply I also like Windows because I am a programmer and programming on a Microsoft platform is a MUCH more pleasant experience, at least for me. For all of the bad things that Microsoft is, I have to say that they take care of their programmer community. The best example is MSDN (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx) where you can easily find that any version of Windows is the most documented product ever. The documentation and examples easily outweigh the number of lines of code in Windows by at least a factor of 10. And of course because I like things to be fast and simple, I use .NET and my development time is cut many times.With that said there are some things that I would like to see changed. When installing Vista I could no longer use my ATI All-In-Wonder Radon because of the new DRM mechanisms. I am not very happy that there are now certain areas that are off limits to me even though I own the computer. There are also issues with some of the programming APIs in that you have to program the way Microsoft wants or nothing at all.I will think of more later on…

I will have to give kudos for Microsoft for implementing fine-grained file security options that I can't seem to find on UNIX. It's not as in depth on UNIX than on Windows. However, that's if you've got the Business version or higher to see it at its full potential.If Microsoft places it across the border and educate users about it, it makes the operating system much more secure.However, I do have to agree that Darasen that they need to ditch the registry and take the UNIX configuration file approach. I would also love to see more shared libraries used instead of having programs having their own implementation of the SAME library. That said, they can take out the bloated WinSXS system which I find to be a hopeless attempt at DLL hell.Microsoft must redo its operating system like how Apple did with Mac OS X to make it better and even more secure. Its reluctance on letting go of the past is its shortcoming. Sure, a lot of users are going to complain, but Microsoft needs to know that its NT and DOS based era won't last forever unless they do a complete rewrite to rid them of the shackles that they have been notorious known for.Sure, bring application compatibility, but on another layer (like Apple's Classic API) and not be mingled with the operating system. Virtualization is the wave of the future, ride it!xboxrulz

I wouldn't kill the registry, it might not be the best solution available, but it's a good, central way to store settings. They just need to improve it a bit to make it more secure.Windows has already seperated the kernel from the gui, just check out the windows server 2008 core edition, no gui (okay, a tiny one, but it only can run notepad :rolleyes:), only a command line.

True, internal security is good, it's just security with what isn't M$'s (even that is sometimes a stretch..). A computer is crap if it can't take on new stuff without them being thoroughly scanned.For dlls, with moving and not duplicating same versions of dlls, the only thing left is for programs to define what they need in the dlls, e.g. a hidden file listing all functions used in a dll, so Windows can compare it with the same-named, later-version dll a new program is trying to install. If a function is missing, copy the old one to the programs's folder, and the new one to main dlls folder.

Windows has become an excellent source for everyone to use. It was basic with 3.1 and since XP added more GUI, it was easier to follow with more options and icons. (Some points could be more confusing, but saying in general.)Newer users can easily go through the Start menu and to their designated program. Programs and boom there is the list. And the newer versions will save the previously used programs so that if it is a program used daily or a lot, it will be up there for them to use. Very nice.Internet Explorer comes equip with security that would hold Fort Knox... It gets to be obnoxious for advanced users, such as professional techs, but is secure for new users. Advanced users will get annoyed with multiple security pop ups and such, but can use the options to lessen occurrences.And lastly, for now, is the XBox franchise. My brother has XBox360... and it is great... I have PS3, but we aren't talkin Sony... So it is nice that it has its' hand at computer and console.

Windows has become an excellent source for everyone to use. It was basic with 3.1 and since XP added more GUI, it was easier to follow with more options and icons. (Some points could be more confusing, but saying in general.)
Newer users can easily go through the Start menu and to their designated program. Programs and boom there is the list. And the newer versions will save the previously used programs so that if it is a program used daily or a lot, it will be up there for them to use. Very nice.

Internet Explorer comes equip with security that would hold Fort Knox... It gets to be obnoxious for advanced users, such as professional techs, but is secure for new users. Advanced users will get annoyed with multiple security pop ups and such, but can use the options to lessen occurrences.

And lastly, for now, is the XBox franchise. My brother has XBox360... and it is great... I have PS3, but we aren't talkin Sony... So it is nice that it has its' hand at computer and console.

Haha, I guess I was into being nice to Microsoft and basically gave it kudos. I will have to come back and actually follow the topic on improving Windows hahaha.... but these were nice things to say about it...