xisto Community
TehJohn

How To Skin Google Chrome How To Skin Google Chrome - Guide By tehJohn

Hey! here's My Guide to 'skinning' Google Chrome, Now I No Longer Use The Program Myself, I have tested it and it worked on google chrome with the ending extension .27 and .30, it also works on all others! -- Thanks yordan

Ok, first get your Theme from...

http://www.freechromethemes.com/

*(The website Is safe, as it doesnt offer downloads directly, it links to community forums that offer the themes)\

Once downloaded

This Is Where it get's tricky..

If you Have XP Do The following :

Goto START Then RUN Then type The Following DRIVELETTERHERE:\Documents and Settings\USERNAMEHERE\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application.2.149.27\Themes\

Backup the file That is in there by renaming it backup

Now drag in the theme you downloaded and close, then reopen google chrome! Voila!

For Vista users :

Goto RUN (I dont Have Vista, So Just Get run Open Somehow :rolleyes:)
and Type the following :
DRIVELETTERHERE:\Users\USERNAMEHERE\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application.2.149.27\Themes\
Backup the file That is in there by renaming it backup

Now drag in the theme you downloaded and close, then reopen google chrome! Voila!

-- Guide By tehJohn
Hope You Enjoyed It!

Edited by TehJohn (see edit history)

Hey! here's My Guide to 'skinning' Google Chrome, Now I No Longer Use The Program Myself, so this may not work, but hey try it and reply if it doesnt!

Sorry, I cannot accept this. :rolleyes: There are two possibilities :
1) You know what you are doing, you step-by-step tried your thing, you write a tutorial, and the guys who read your tutorial obtain exactly the effect you describe.
2) What you say does not work, and your post goes directly to the "spam" folder, and of coursed you loose all the credits illegally obtained by your spam post.
So, you are kindly pleased to review your tutorial, reproduce on a test machine the steps you are describing, and, if something is wrong, correct your text.

I think that Google will release themes for Google Chrome soon, they already have some for GMail now. They will also release addons and stuff I think, because one of the main reasons people don't use Google Chrome is the lack of extensibility.I will wait until Google releases themes because I don't trust this 3rd-party website.

FirefoxRocks: The themes seem to come from this site http://www.altafsayani.com/2008/09/03/down-chrome-themes/, but within the site I've also noticed someone who posted saying that they come from yet another source. It seems trustworthy considering the sheer number of people who have made use of the themes, but I'm not that interested in skinning Chrome either way. Also, I do feel a bit safer if I wait for Google to release its themes. I've enjoyed the ones for Gmail (well, some of them were a bit iffy, like that terminal one, but the simplistic ones were quite nice).

I also find that Google Chrome's lack of extensibility is annoying, since an Adblock-clone is not bound to work as well. Of course, there's always Privoxy, but that's not a good enough substitute in some respects. Now if Firefox had a speed that rivaled Chrome's, I'd have no reason to even look at Chrome (luckily, it seems Opera comes close).

much easier using USERPROFILEHow To Skin Google Chrome

Rather than risk not knowing where the profile ACTUALLY is (documents and settings, users, or whatever), just use the automatically generated environment variable USERPROFILE. For example, in CMD windows, cd /d "%userprofile%". Many times it will need to be in quotes like that because it can contain spaces. Other input blanks don't care (e.G., the address bar of explorer.Exe). As an added benefit, there are no metasyntactic things like DRIVELETTERHERE:.

-reply by JoeP.