xisto Community
TehJohn

Wpe Pro (winsock Editor Pro)? Trojan? Or Simple Program?

I used to be part of a big hacking scene, a couple of the users all said the best program to use was a program called

WPE PRO

Now, I downloaded that program despite some users Posting comments Like this :

the .DLL File Contains a Trojan! Don't Download!

Now, Me being a Mod on the forum at that time, decided that it was my responsibility to find out if this was really a trojan.

so.. I Unwittingly downloaded the file.. Big Mistake.

I Opened the File (.RAR)

and was displayed with 3 files

wpe.exe

wpepro.DLL

log.txt

Now.. I opened the .exe thinking, Heh, If it is a virus it'll be stopped by Norton anyway (yeah, I Know Norton sucks, But this was 4 Years ago.. Everyone Liked Norton Then.. :rolleyes:)

so.. I was displayed with a norton alert saying WARNING VIRUS DETECTED! Move to Vault? I Clicked YES and Then It said COULD NOT MOVE TO VAULT

By this time i was shocked, so scanned the pc.. It picked up Two Trojans.. One by the name of OCSNIFF.EXE and wpepro.DLL

Strange.. I Tried to delete them, but nope, didnt work, so i quarentined them, hopefully stopping them..

My worked fine for 5 months, i didnt notice a thing.. Until one day My start bar dissapered. (I Know, These viruses are cool eh?)

so I pressed ctrl alt delete and found that NO Processes were open apart from Task Manager, By that time i called technical support where they told me to reinstall windows 9yeah.. That helps)

anyway, 4 Years On, Im an expert on PC's but im still wondering..

Has anyone actually used WPE PRO?

Is it a Virus?

Or was It Just a rouge Program i Downloaded?

Two different problems, to be managed in two different ways.
First of all, when you see message such as yours

so.. I was displayed with a norton alert saying WARNING VIRUS DETECTED! Move to Vault? I Clicked YES

you should immediately take a piece of paper and write down the name of the virus. Norton gives the name of the virus near the words "virus detected"with the name of the virus, you can go to the internet (from another computer, a healthy one) and look what is this virus, what are it's symptoms and how to get rid of it.

Secondly, if you use WPE PRO, be careful with where you are downloading it from. Some people put hacked version of some programs, containing viruses or trojans. So, maybe WPE PRO is not a dangerous program if used correctly, but maybe you downloaded a corrupted or dangerously modified version.

By the way, here is what is said concerning WPE PRO here : http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Winsock Packet Editor (WPE) Pro is a packet sniffing/editing tool which is generally used to hack multiplayer games. WPE Pro allows modification of data at TCP level. Using WPE Pro one can select a running process from the memory and modify the data sent by it before it reaches the destination. It can record packets from specific processes, then analyze the information. You can setup filters to modify the packets or even send them when you want in different intervals. WPE Pro could also be a useful tool for testing thick client applications or web applications which use applets to establish socket connections on non http ports.

So, clearly, it is a hacking tool. When it runs it's able to modify a process running in memory. This is rather dangerous for most of programs. That's why Norton prevents you from running this program, this is part of it's advanced protection job ! :rolleyes:

Two different problems, to be managed in two different ways.First of all, when you see message such as yours
you should immediately take a piece of paper and write down the name of the virus. Norton gives the name of the virus near the words "virus detected"
with the name of the virus, you can go to the internet (from another computer, a healthy one) and look what is this virus, what are it's symptoms and how to get rid of it.

Secondly, if you use WPE PRO, be careful with where you are downloading it from. Some people put hacked version of some programs, containing viruses or trojans. So, maybe WPE PRO is not a dangerous program if used correctly, but maybe you downloaded a corrupted or dangerously modified version.

By the way, here is what is said concerning WPE PRO here : http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

So, clearly, it is a hacking tool. When it runs it's able to modify a process running in memory. This is rather dangerous for most of programs. That's why Norton prevents you from running this program, this is part of it's advanced protection job ! :rolleyes:

Mhm, But anyway, I Just thought i'd let you guys Know of My Experience, and what NOT to do if you get a virus...
I use avast! Nowadays anyway,

I'm a seasoned WPE user (I seek exploits in several applications so the developers can patch it out before it gets exploited).

The program you downloaded is most certainly a rogue program.

The actual WPE (non-editted, but edits could be usefull at times) contains ONLY wpe.Exe and wpespy.Dll. Not wpepro.Dll.

And if you read the full description (or even the full name of the report) you'll notice a few things:

Wpespy.Dll is detected as a Trojan: Packet Sniffer. Sniffers are used for several illegal ways of modifying client<->server information. Commonly reffered to as Hacking.

The program is thus deemed as maliscious, but it's not a virus. And if used correctly, harmless.

But nowadays the web is flooded with infected files, considering it will show up as virus anyway.

Considering the main download (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/) has been taken down, you'll best use other Packet Editors like Redox Packet Editor, which is more advanced and less known.

Summary:

Winsock Packet Editor Pro is not a virus, but a Packet Editor. IF you downloaded the original file.

-reply by Jaro

WPE pro isnWpe Pro (winsock Editor Pro)?

Replying to TehJohn I've tried it on my computer. The reason Norton picks it up as a Trojan is because Nortan doesn't like the Idea of any program except your normal Web Browser connecting to the internet. I have tried it and nope, not a virus! I just turn off Norton when I use it. Works Fine for me. I have NO idea what made your bar disappear like that. Mine has never done that before...-reply by Lute20

lol you say your an expert computer user now, but obviously you don't know much. Wpe pro is a legit program there is nothing wrong with it. However it seems to me that the copy you downloaded came from a untrustworthy source. Who ever post the copy you downloaded it injected it with a virus. Don't download from ppls posts, its a free source program that you can get on wpe's main website. That's where you should have downloaded it from, and you wouldn't have had a problem.

lol you say your an expert computer user now, but obviously you don't know much. Wpe pro is a legit program there is nothing wrong with it. However it seems to me that the copy you downloaded came from a untrustworthy source. Who ever post the copy you downloaded it injected it with a virus. Don't download from ppls posts, its a free source program that you can get on wpe's main website. That's where you should have downloaded it from, and you wouldn't have had a problem.

-reply by phantom